Apr 8, 2014, 10:31 PM EST
Nowitzki is having himself an All-Star season that may very well end with him leading the Mavericks to the playoffs, but things have gone far worse for Nash since joining the Lakers last season.
Injuries have accumulated to the point where Nash is doing everything possible to simply finish out the final year of his contract in Los Angeles next season, and he’s been extremely forthcoming about his situation in a documentary series that’s appeared on the Grantland web site.
Just as Nash has been honest in the film, Nowitzki was honest in his assessment of it, and he clearly hates to see the way his friend’s stellar career is coming to a close.
From The Dallas Morning News:
Dallas Mavericks power forward Dirk Nowitzki appeared Monday on The Afternoon Show with Cowlishaw and Mosley on KESN-FM 103.3 to discuss the Mavericks, his college basketball interests, and his experiences in Dallas. Here are some highlights. …
“It’s actually a little depressing, and he’s brutally honest in it, which I think is great to see what athletes think, what they go through at the end.”
The only depressing part is seeing how badly Nash truly wants to get back to being able to play consistently, but isn’t able to due to his physical limitations.
It’s inspiring, actually, to see an athlete at the end of his career with so much money and so many accolades already earned who still has that level of passion for the game.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 0
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 5
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 7