Jonas Valanciunas charged with driving under the influence

Apr 7, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT

Jonas Valanciunas has reportedly been charged with driving under the influence.

If true, it’s a black mark on the Raptors’ feel-good season. The 21-year-old Valanciunas can, and hopefully will, learn from this experience, but – again, if true – it’s still troubling he put other drivers on the road at risk.

The Raptors confirmed the arrest and released this statement:

We were made aware this morning of the incident involving Jonas Valanciunas and are disappointed he has put himself in this situation. We take this matter very seriously as we have the highest expectations for all members of our organization.

Valanciunas, a second-year center, is averaging 11.0 points and 8.6 rebounds per game. Toronto is on pace to claim the No. 3 seed in the Eastern Conference and will break a five-season playoff drought.

1. elwaysagenius - Apr 7, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Hopefully he can straighten this out, he looks like he could be really, really good in a few years

2. breyton444 - Apr 7, 2014 at 8:38 PM

He’s still just a kid. A good kid who learn from this mistake.

3. jerdogthompson - Apr 7, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Man, I don’t even make a 10th of what most of these guys make and even I have a mantra;

All good times start at BofA and end with a taxi. Just don’t freaking get why these guys don’t have more common sense and hire a driver or just take a taxi when they drink. Stupid is as stupid does I guess.

• paleihe - Apr 7, 2014 at 9:50 PM

Seriously man, me too. When my friends and I go out, we always get a cab. $60 each way is a hell of a deal to not potentially kill anyone.

• asimonetti88 - Apr 8, 2014 at 12:05 AM

Man, you can split the cab and get away with $20 a night! Way better than the $10,000+ it takes to deal with a DUI… or even worse if you get in an accident!

4. ranfan12 - Apr 7, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Just couldn’t wait to open the six pack until he got home

5. titansbro - Apr 7, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Let me tell you how good & right me & my friends are & how we always do the responsible thing… blah blah blah.

Nothing says apologetic like a quoted tweeted apology.

I hate you all.

6. canadatude - Apr 7, 2014 at 11:35 PM

The cop got a licence plate from a fast food drive through and went to the residence. Slow night when you have to track down a guy at 3 in the morning.

7. garybrian - Apr 8, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Why was he in Wasaga Beach at this time of the year. But really, give the guy a break. Twenty one in a strange land and still learning how to be a man. Let’t wait to hear the whole story BEFORE we hang him!

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches