Kyrie Irving and Dion Waiters try to squelch rift rumors

Apr 7, 2014, 11:14 PM EDT

Miami Heat v Cleveland Cavaliers Miami Heat v Cleveland Cavaliers

Kyrie Irving and Dion Waiters don’t like each other. Irving wants out of Cleveland. Waiters is immature.

Those are things that have been written about the Cavaliers’ guards this season.

Now, they’re trying to quiet talk of the internal strife.

Bob Finnan of The News-Herald:

The Cavs propped up Irving and Waiters in front of the media on April 7 after practice at Cleveland Clinic Courts, just to promote an aura of unity.

Waiters said he was friends with Irving long before he came to the Cavs. They crossed paths in the AAU circuit.

“I just think, man, throughout this whole year with us two not liking each other, it’s total BS,” Waiters said. “We’ve been friends before we even made the NBA, before any of this. I just think y’all saying we don’t like playing with one another. … Yeah, we still need to learn certain things, but I think at the end of the day, we’re genuinely friends. I love him as a friend, teammate, everything. I just want everybody to know that. I don’t hate this guy.

“I’m pretty sure he don’t hate me. I know he don’t hate me. I hope he don’t hate me. Rome wasn’t built in one day. We’re still young. We’re still planning to stay together. We’re still working. As long as we’ve got great communication down, it’s fine.”

“We’ve had numerous occasions where we’ve been in the media about me and Dion’s relationship. I think me and him are just tired of it. I just want to move past it and play basketball.”

Right, because joint interviews perfectly correlate with cohesion.

I don’t know how Irving and Waiters truly feel about each other, and while there’s a lot of smoke, I’d be speculating if I said with certainty their relationship is on fire. But I do know they took the time to speak together publicly, and that shows any problems between the two aren’t so bad they can’t be controlled when the media is around. And if they can be controlled when the media is around, they can be controlled when basketball business is at hand. Irving and Waiters don’t need to like each other, but they need to work together, and this is a strong sign they can at least do that.

I also know the Cavaliers perform worse offensive and defensively, getting outscored by 6.5 points per 100 possessions, when Irving and Waiters play together. That, more than their off-court relationship, must be addressed. If they play better together, I bet they’ll eventually like each other more.

Winning just soothes problems and brings out the best in everyone.

Latest Posts
  1. LeBron’s 30-point performance leads Cavaliers to hard-fought Game 2 win over Celtics

Apr 21, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT

Boston Celtics v Cleveland Cavaliers - Game Two Getty Images

LeBron had 30, Kyrie Irving added 26 to give Cleveland the 2-0 lead in the series.

2. Chandler Parsons out for Game 2, maybe rest of Rockets series

Apr 21, 2015, 9:41 PM EDT

Devin Harris, Chandler Parsons, Trevor Ariza AP

Devin Harris also out Game 2 for Mavericks

3. Nikola Mirotic could miss Game 3 against Bucks

Apr 21, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT

Milwaukee Bucks v Chicago Bulls - Game Two Milwaukee Bucks v Chicago Bulls - Game Two

Bulls forward strained knee in scuffle with Zaza Pachulia

4. PBT Extra matchups to watch: Spurs look for ways to contain Chris Paul

Apr 21, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT

Expect to see a lot more Kawhi Leonard (and Danny Green) on Paul from the start.

5. Report: Suns’ Morris twins charged with aggravated assault

Apr 21, 2015, 4:51 PM EDT

Phoenix Suns Media Day Getty Images

The twins were allegedly part of a group that beat up a man outside a rec league basketball tournament.

6. Hawks’ Al Horford says he will play in Game 2 despite finger injury

Apr 21, 2015, 4:14 PM EDT

Al Horford AP

Horford is going to have work to do on the defensive end slowing down Brook Lopez.

7. Brilliant spoof: Zach Randolph’s deep thoughts on cats, shirts, more

Apr 21, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT

Zach Randolph AP

Well done, Zach Randolph and the Memphis Grizzlies.

8. Nets list Mirza Teletovic as ‘probable’ for Game 2 vs. Hawks

Apr 21, 2015, 2:43 PM EDT

Brooklyn Nets v Sacramento Kings Getty Images

Teletovic was originally ruled out for the season on Jan. 23.

9. Report: Spurs might get a free agent meeting with LaMarcus Aldridge

Apr 21, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT

Denver Nuggets v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

Another report has Aldridge at no better than 50-50 to re-sign with the Blazers.

10. Raptors’ Lou Williams: ‘Staying in Toronto would be ideal for me’

Apr 21, 2015, 11:10 AM EDT

Toronto Raptors v Charlotte Hornets Getty Images

Williams will be an unrestricted free agent this summer.

Mavericks need to contain Dwight Howard in Game 2