Kyrie Irving and Dion Waiters try to squelch rift rumors

Apr 7, 2014, 11:14 PM EDT

Miami Heat v Cleveland Cavaliers Miami Heat v Cleveland Cavaliers

Kyrie Irving and Dion Waiters don’t like each other. Irving wants out of Cleveland. Waiters is immature.

Those are things that have been written about the Cavaliers’ guards this season.

Now, they’re trying to quiet talk of the internal strife.

Bob Finnan of The News-Herald:

The Cavs propped up Irving and Waiters in front of the media on April 7 after practice at Cleveland Clinic Courts, just to promote an aura of unity.

Waiters said he was friends with Irving long before he came to the Cavs. They crossed paths in the AAU circuit.

“I just think, man, throughout this whole year with us two not liking each other, it’s total BS,” Waiters said. “We’ve been friends before we even made the NBA, before any of this. I just think y’all saying we don’t like playing with one another. … Yeah, we still need to learn certain things, but I think at the end of the day, we’re genuinely friends. I love him as a friend, teammate, everything. I just want everybody to know that. I don’t hate this guy.

“I’m pretty sure he don’t hate me. I know he don’t hate me. I hope he don’t hate me. Rome wasn’t built in one day. We’re still young. We’re still planning to stay together. We’re still working. As long as we’ve got great communication down, it’s fine.”

“We’ve had numerous occasions where we’ve been in the media about me and Dion’s relationship. I think me and him are just tired of it. I just want to move past it and play basketball.”

Right, because joint interviews perfectly correlate with cohesion.

I don’t know how Irving and Waiters truly feel about each other, and while there’s a lot of smoke, I’d be speculating if I said with certainty their relationship is on fire. But I do know they took the time to speak together publicly, and that shows any problems between the two aren’t so bad they can’t be controlled when the media is around. And if they can be controlled when the media is around, they can be controlled when basketball business is at hand. Irving and Waiters don’t need to like each other, but they need to work together, and this is a strong sign they can at least do that.

I also know the Cavaliers perform worse offensive and defensively, getting outscored by 6.5 points per 100 possessions, when Irving and Waiters play together. That, more than their off-court relationship, must be addressed. If they play better together, I bet they’ll eventually like each other more.

Winning just soothes problems and brings out the best in everyone.

1. 1harrypairatesties - Apr 8, 2014 at 12:43 AM

What a bunch of BS.

2. cbking05 - Apr 8, 2014 at 12:57 AM

OMG …I totally thought at first that they just couldn’t play well together but then they were like saying they hate eachother and I was like no way…I didn’t want to believe it but then they were like always glaring at eachother and that heated locker room players only meeting …I was like “Ah Sheet, playas only!” cuz I knew something was going down and then I was convinced waiters is the bad guy. And I base that strictly on All Star appearances and
    YouTube highlights…but then I hear Kyrie wants out of Cleveland and im like “whaaaat”…maybe Kyrie is the one causing drama …but then he drops 40 something on the jazz and I’m like “whew I thought he was the problem”…but then to hear this today that they are friends …things that make you go hmmmmm

3. spyder9669 - Apr 8, 2014 at 1:17 AM

Who cares waiters sucks. And Irving thinks he’s way better than he actually is thanks to the media. This whole forcing your way out of a particular city thing is getting old. Play where you get drafted and stfu

4. bballhistorian - Apr 8, 2014 at 1:49 AM

Cavs fans had it good when the king was there….

5. sportsfan18 - Apr 8, 2014 at 1:50 AM

Ten cent brain…

Just READ what Waiters said… it was in the following order and I quote…

“I’m pretty sure he don’t hate me.”

“I know he don’t hate me.”

“I hope he don’t hate me.”

Uh, Dion, you do NOT have a clue do you?

• tuberippin - Apr 8, 2014 at 3:45 AM

“Do you think he hate me?”

6. campcouch - Apr 8, 2014 at 6:02 AM

Stars on a team not getting along? Never happened before. But,it’s just another small market team that shouldn’t be allowed to have any talent on the team. Everyone should play for the Knicks,Lakers and Celtics. Oh wait,they stink too. Oh wait,James and Bosh went to Miami and not NY. Oh,Dwight Howard went to Houston and not LA. The great Doc Rivers didn’t want to actually coach,so he left for the Clippers. I guess Cleveland is the most interesting team in the league right now so stories about them must pop up daily.

7. 5xchamp24 - Apr 8, 2014 at 12:34 PM

who gave these guys above me. access to this web site?

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches