Apr 7, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
Poor Kevin Durant.
The Thunder forward has now scored 25 points in 41 consecutive games, moving past Michael Jordan for the second-longest such streak ever. Only Wilt Chamberlain’s 126-game run was longer.
Sounds awful for Durant, right?
Darnell Mayberry of The Oklahoman:
Durant on passing Michael Jordan's streak of 40 straight 25-point games: "I don't really care about it. I wish it was over."—
Darnell Mayberry (@DarnellMayberry) April 07, 2014
If Durant carries the streak to the end of the regular season, he’ll be forced to answer about its eventual end twice. First, a team will hold him under 25 in the playoffs. Then, because postseason games don’t officially count toward such streaks, a team will hold him under 25 next season.
It’s a lot of tedious questions to someone who has repeatedly shied from comparisons to other players.
But the Thunder have been better when Durant scores 25 (47-17, .734) than when he doesn’t (8-4, .667). So, I suspect he’ll suck it up and keep scoring if that’s what his team needs.
And if he wants to harmlessly end the streak, a solution might soon present itself soon.
Oklahoma City trails the Spurs by 4.5 games for the No. 1 seed and leads the Clippers by two games in the loss column for the No. 3 seed. The Thunder might have a meaningless game to close the season next week, and if they do, Durant could start it, get in a brief sweat and then sit the rest of the contest.
Quietly, the streak would end, and Durant could focus on the playoffs as he’d like.
However, to get into that position, Oklahoma City would likely need to win most, if not all, its games this week. For that to happen, Durant might need to give the Thunder a few more 25-point outings.
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 8
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 3
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 46
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 19
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 34
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 15
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23
- Report: Cavaliers trying to trade for Nuggets’ Timofey Mozgov 25