Apr 7, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
Poor Kevin Durant.
The Thunder forward has now scored 25 points in 41 consecutive games, moving past Michael Jordan for the second-longest such streak ever. Only Wilt Chamberlain’s 126-game run was longer.
Sounds awful for Durant, right?
Darnell Mayberry of The Oklahoman:
If Durant carries the streak to the end of the regular season, he’ll be forced to answer about its eventual end twice. First, a team will hold him under 25 in the playoffs. Then, because postseason games don’t officially count toward such streaks, a team will hold him under 25 next season.
It’s a lot of tedious questions to someone who has repeatedly shied from comparisons to other players.
But the Thunder have been better when Durant scores 25 (47-17, .734) than when he doesn’t (8-4, .667). So, I suspect he’ll suck it up and keep scoring if that’s what his team needs.
And if he wants to harmlessly end the streak, a solution might soon present itself soon.
Oklahoma City trails the Spurs by 4.5 games for the No. 1 seed and leads the Clippers by two games in the loss column for the No. 3 seed. The Thunder might have a meaningless game to close the season next week, and if they do, Durant could start it, get in a brief sweat and then sit the rest of the contest.
Quietly, the streak would end, and Durant could focus on the playoffs as he’d like.
However, to get into that position, Oklahoma City would likely need to win most, if not all, its games this week. For that to happen, Durant might need to give the Thunder a few more 25-point outings.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 15
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18