Apr 7, 2014, 9:55 AM EST
Poor Kevin Durant.
The Thunder forward has now scored 25 points in 41 consecutive games, moving past Michael Jordan for the second-longest such streak ever. Only Wilt Chamberlain’s 126-game run was longer.
Sounds awful for Durant, right?
Darnell Mayberry of The Oklahoman:
If Durant carries the streak to the end of the regular season, he’ll be forced to answer about its eventual end twice. First, a team will hold him under 25 in the playoffs. Then, because postseason games don’t officially count toward such streaks, a team will hold him under 25 next season.
It’s a lot of tedious questions to someone who has repeatedly shied from comparisons to other players.
But the Thunder have been better when Durant scores 25 (47-17, .734) than when he doesn’t (8-4, .667). So, I suspect he’ll suck it up and keep scoring if that’s what his team needs.
And if he wants to harmlessly end the streak, a solution might soon present itself soon.
Oklahoma City trails the Spurs by 4.5 games for the No. 1 seed and leads the Clippers by two games in the loss column for the No. 3 seed. The Thunder might have a meaningless game to close the season next week, and if they do, Durant could start it, get in a brief sweat and then sit the rest of the contest.
Quietly, the streak would end, and Durant could focus on the playoffs as he’d like.
However, to get into that position, Oklahoma City would likely need to win most, if not all, its games this week. For that to happen, Durant might need to give the Thunder a few more 25-point outings.
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 6
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 3
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 17
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 46
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 45