Apr 6, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
The Wizards suffered what was perhaps a predictable loss on Saturday, facing a very tough Bulls team on the second night of a back-to-back after beating the Knicks at Madison Square Garden less than 24 hours before.
The loss had Washington wondering if things might have been different with Nene in the lineup, who played in the two previous meetings this season, both of which were Wizards victories.
It isn’t likely, but it remains possible that Washington could face Chicago in a first round playoff matchup. And fortunately, they’re expected to see Nene return from injury before the postseason begins.
Forgotten in the topsy-turvy end to the Wizards’ season is that while they’ve fallen a spot to the No. 6 seed, they’ve gone 12-9 without Nene. He’s likely to return from a left knee ligament strain this week, and just in time. When asked if they’d missed his presence after being dominated by the Chicago Bulls on Saturday, no one denied it. It was too obvious. …
“Nene gives us another facilitator. Against a team like this you need another one,” Wizards coach Randy Wittman said. “With John being one, Bradley can do some things off the dribble but Nene was another guy that can play like Noah does at the top with the ball in his hands, the passing and also the posting up that he does for us. That’s not an excuse why we lost.”
Nene has missed the last 21 games, and his presence will improve the offense in terms of having a low-post threat to help take some pressure off of John Wall and Bradley Beal, who do so much of the team’s scoring from the guard positions.
Nene has averaged 14.2 points, 5.8 rebounds and three assists in 30.1 minutes per game this season.
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 28
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 18