Apr 6, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
The Wizards suffered what was perhaps a predictable loss on Saturday, facing a very tough Bulls team on the second night of a back-to-back after beating the Knicks at Madison Square Garden less than 24 hours before.
The loss had Washington wondering if things might have been different with Nene in the lineup, who played in the two previous meetings this season, both of which were Wizards victories.
It isn’t likely, but it remains possible that Washington could face Chicago in a first round playoff matchup. And fortunately, they’re expected to see Nene return from injury before the postseason begins.
Forgotten in the topsy-turvy end to the Wizards’ season is that while they’ve fallen a spot to the No. 6 seed, they’ve gone 12-9 without Nene. He’s likely to return from a left knee ligament strain this week, and just in time. When asked if they’d missed his presence after being dominated by the Chicago Bulls on Saturday, no one denied it. It was too obvious. …
“Nene gives us another facilitator. Against a team like this you need another one,” Wizards coach Randy Wittman said. “With John being one, Bradley can do some things off the dribble but Nene was another guy that can play like Noah does at the top with the ball in his hands, the passing and also the posting up that he does for us. That’s not an excuse why we lost.”
Nene has missed the last 21 games, and his presence will improve the offense in terms of having a low-post threat to help take some pressure off of John Wall and Bradley Beal, who do so much of the team’s scoring from the guard positions.
Nene has averaged 14.2 points, 5.8 rebounds and three assists in 30.1 minutes per game this season.
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 0
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 31
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 24
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 31
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 16
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 58
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61