Apr 5, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
It’s not uncommon for teams to put together promotional campaigns hyping up their best players to media members for regular season awards.
It is a little odd, however, for one team to be asking that two of their players receive votes for the very same one.
For Howard, the team kept it simple by sticking to the Superman theme, complete with Clark Kent-style briefcase and glasses, along with the red cape featuring Howard’s logo.
Rockets putting on a full-court press for Dwight Howard’s MVP campaign – pic.twitter.com/RheiFp0omE
— Darnell Mayberry (@DarnellMayberry) April 3, 2014
As for Harden’s candidacy, the beard was an equally-easy target, so a grooming kit seemed like a fitting choice.
Neither Howard nor Harden has any real shot at the award, of course, considering that Kevin Durant is expected by most to already have it locked up, with LeBron James unquestionably being the one who will garner the most second-place votes.
It’s due diligence by the Rockets more than anything else, making sure their players know they’re appreciated enough internally to warrant the promotional effort.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 29
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 31
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18