Apr 4, 2014, 3:04 PM EDT
As hard as he has worked, Steve Nash has just not been able to get fully past the nerve root issue that he has battled the last two seasons.
Friday night he says he will play against Dallas, Nash’s 14th game this season.
Then he likely shuts it down for the year, Nash told the media including Mark Medina of the Los Angeles Daily News.
Nash would not be able to bounce back for Sunday’s day game against the Clippers. Jordan Farmar is about to return from injury and he can soak up minutes at the point along with Kendall Marshall. So Nash is going to shut it down the last couple weeks of the season.
While the Lakers could use the stretch provision on Nash this summer (letting him go and extending the cap hit from his contract over three seasons) they are not expected to do so. With the team rebuilding and likely not very strong next season better to bite the bullet on the pain of the $9.7 million he is owed rather than extend the pain out. Just rip the Band-Aid off. Also, Nash’s salary could be used in a trade should a team with a superstar player (maybe one in a Northern state known for its abundance of lakes) decides to trade said star and get something in return before he walks.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 2
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48