Apr 4, 2014, 10:41 AM EST
Not content to leave the issue for the league to study – a route that surely would have slowly led nowhere – Cuban has taken to funding the medical research.
Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban is putting his money where his mouth on studying the potential benefits of human growth hormone use for athletes recovering from injuries.
Cuban said Thursday he has made a significant financial commitment to fund a potential university study on the issue.
Cuban didn’t give many details, including the school or a timeline, because the study still needs government approval.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting its one-day $1.2 million Fantasy Basketball Championship on Friday night. The Championship has a $120,000 first place prize. You can buy in directly for $200. Starts at 7pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
It will be years before the NBA ever allows HGH in any circumstances. It could be years until Cuban’s study even gets off the ground.
And shifting league-wide opinion could be an even larger mountain to climb.
Our societal lines on performance-enhancers are arbitrary, but also deep-seated. Proposing changes for only injuries is a good way to begin the discussion, as injury recovery – again, for arbitrary reasons – is viewed differently by many. If that becomes accepted, maybe HGH would become passable as a common training method.
HGH use must clear many obstacles before the NBA approves it, but this Cuban-backed research is a small step in that direction.
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 7
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 11
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 30