Apr 4, 2014, 5:01 PM EST
When you’re as bad as the Pistons are right now — they couldn’t even beat the Sixers — it’s not just one thing. Life is simply not lived in black and white like that, it’s shades of gray.
Josh Smith wants you to know the disaster that is the Pistons is not all his fault.
“I am an easy target to be able to blame. I’m very outspoken,” Smith said. “I’m an emotional player. I can easily be a target night in and out…
“If you played the game, if you know X’s and O’s, it’s not all my fault,” Smith said. “I’m not gonna say I’m perfect, by far, but I’m not the guy you can point the finger at. I’m a firm believer in you point one finger at one person, point three back at yourself.”
Josh Smith has been Josh Smith this season. On the 46 percent of his total shot attempts he takes inside eight feet he is shooting 55.7 percent. On the 54 percent outside that window he is shooting 29,9 percent, including 25.6 percent from three. However, because Andre Drummond and Greg Monroe have equally bad shooting from the outside, all three of them are trying to occupy the same space inside. When that happens Smith, in the small forward role, steps out on the perimeter. He has had to do that more and more this season as the Pistons continue to play the big three lineup in spite of the evidence of how poorly it works.
And that’s not even getting into Brandon Jennings. Or the defense.
But pointing the finger of blame at Smith is like blaming a cheetah for eating a gazelle — it’s what he does.
That said, the Pistons need him to get back to being more of a jack of all trades, a guy who can defend inside and out, who can run the court, a guy that is a matchup nightmare.
Detroit’s big mistake was putting the roster together this way. Yes, we’re looking at you Joe Dumars, this roster is why you may well be unemployed as of this summer. We all had spacing question the second the Smith signing was announced, although nobody thought their issues would be this severe. Josh Smith is part of that but he’s right, he’s not all of it.
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 8
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 6
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 17
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 47
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 45