Apr 4, 2014, 5:01 PM EST
When you’re as bad as the Pistons are right now — they couldn’t even beat the Sixers — it’s not just one thing. Life is simply not lived in black and white like that, it’s shades of gray.
Josh Smith wants you to know the disaster that is the Pistons is not all his fault.
“I am an easy target to be able to blame. I’m very outspoken,” Smith said. “I’m an emotional player. I can easily be a target night in and out…
“If you played the game, if you know X’s and O’s, it’s not all my fault,” Smith said. “I’m not gonna say I’m perfect, by far, but I’m not the guy you can point the finger at. I’m a firm believer in you point one finger at one person, point three back at yourself.”
Josh Smith has been Josh Smith this season. On the 46 percent of his total shot attempts he takes inside eight feet he is shooting 55.7 percent. On the 54 percent outside that window he is shooting 29,9 percent, including 25.6 percent from three. However, because Andre Drummond and Greg Monroe have equally bad shooting from the outside, all three of them are trying to occupy the same space inside. When that happens Smith, in the small forward role, steps out on the perimeter. He has had to do that more and more this season as the Pistons continue to play the big three lineup in spite of the evidence of how poorly it works.
And that’s not even getting into Brandon Jennings. Or the defense.
But pointing the finger of blame at Smith is like blaming a cheetah for eating a gazelle — it’s what he does.
That said, the Pistons need him to get back to being more of a jack of all trades, a guy who can defend inside and out, who can run the court, a guy that is a matchup nightmare.
Detroit’s big mistake was putting the roster together this way. Yes, we’re looking at you Joe Dumars, this roster is why you may well be unemployed as of this summer. We all had spacing question the second the Smith signing was announced, although nobody thought their issues would be this severe. Josh Smith is part of that but he’s right, he’s not all of it.
- Report: Timberwolves’ Ricky Rubio set to return Monday vs. Dallas 5
- Nike unveils latest signature shoe for Kobe Bryant, the Kobe X (PHOTOS) 13
- Report: Nuggets trying to trade for Brook Lopez 12
- Last summer Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant talked, decided it wouldn’t work together 30
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 9
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 45
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 10