Apr 4, 2014, 2:27 PM EDT
Last summer the Bucks decided to make Larry Sanders a cornerstone of their rebuilding efforts and gave him a four-year, $44 million contract.
He has “rewarded” the Bucks with a disastrous season on and off the court. He has played just 23 games (not playing as well as last year when he was healthy), and he missed the bulk of that time due to needing hand surgery after shredding a ligament during a bar fight. He fought with teammates. He got cited by police for leaving his dogs out in the cold. He’s been out and will be the rest of the season with a broken eye socket (suffered in a game).
Now there is this: He has been suspended five games by the NBA for violating the league’s drug policy, the league announced Friday. Five games is the league’s marijuana penalty, and Sanders admitted that is what the suspension is for. Just a reminder, you have to test positive three times for marijuana in league testing to get a suspension, the first two times you just get sent to rehab/counseling.
Sanders released this statement.
“I apologize to the entire Bucks organization and our fans for being suspended five games for using marijuana in violation of the NBA Anti-Drug Program. I take full responsibility for my actions.”
The Bucks released this statement.
“Larry Sanders has a responsibility to every person in our organization and our fans. We are all disappointed by the news of his suspension.”
Because he is out injured for the season he will serve those games at the start of next season.
The Bucks are rebuilding and while it looked a year ago like Sanders could be a part of that, if he doesn’t mature quickly the Bucks will jettison him to the first team that will take on his contract. Which will take time to find.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 2
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 14
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 39
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29