Apr 3, 2014, 1:27 PM EDT
Police knocked on the door of Timberwolves forward Dante Cunningham at 6 a.m. Thursday and arrested him on suspicion of domestic abuse, according to a report in the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.
Cunningham is currently in jail without bail, awaiting charges, according to the report. The Star-Tribune spoke to police about the situation.
Police arrived at Cunningham’s residence on Medina Road about 4 a.m. and met with a woman who also lives there who had “marks of a physical domestic [altercation]” on her body,” said Police Chief Ed Belland. The woman did not require medical treatment, the chief added.
Cunningham, 6-foot-8 and 220 pounds, left the $1.1 million home before police arrived but soon returned and “was subsequently arrested and taken into custody without incident,” Belland said.
The chief said he expects to forward the case to the county attorney’s office for charging by Thursday afternoon.
The Timberwolves are flying to Miami Thursday to face the Heat Friday night and clearly Cunningham will not be on that flight.
The Timberwolves released this statement about the situation.
“We are aware of the matter involving Dante Cunningham and are in the process of gathering more information. Dante will not be traveling with the team to Miami this afternoon. The Minnesota Timberwolves organization takes the matter very seriously and does not condone the type of behavior that is associated with this situation. However, we need to let the legal process run its course, and will have further comment at the appropriate time.”
Cunningham, 26 and in his fifth NBA season, is averaging 6 points and 4 rebounds a game in about 20 minutes a night off the bench for the Timberwolves. Cunningham is a free agent after this season.
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 12
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 5
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 4
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 28