Apr 3, 2014, 1:27 PM EDT
Police knocked on the door of Timberwolves forward Dante Cunningham at 6 a.m. Thursday and arrested him on suspicion of domestic abuse, according to a report in the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.
Cunningham is currently in jail without bail, awaiting charges, according to the report. The Star-Tribune spoke to police about the situation.
Police arrived at Cunningham’s residence on Medina Road about 4 a.m. and met with a woman who also lives there who had “marks of a physical domestic [altercation]” on her body,” said Police Chief Ed Belland. The woman did not require medical treatment, the chief added.
Cunningham, 6-foot-8 and 220 pounds, left the $1.1 million home before police arrived but soon returned and “was subsequently arrested and taken into custody without incident,” Belland said.
The chief said he expects to forward the case to the county attorney’s office for charging by Thursday afternoon.
The Timberwolves are flying to Miami Thursday to face the Heat Friday night and clearly Cunningham will not be on that flight.
The Timberwolves released this statement about the situation.
“We are aware of the matter involving Dante Cunningham and are in the process of gathering more information. Dante will not be traveling with the team to Miami this afternoon. The Minnesota Timberwolves organization takes the matter very seriously and does not condone the type of behavior that is associated with this situation. However, we need to let the legal process run its course, and will have further comment at the appropriate time.”
Cunningham, 26 and in his fifth NBA season, is averaging 6 points and 4 rebounds a game in about 20 minutes a night off the bench for the Timberwolves. Cunningham is a free agent after this season.
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 12
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 31
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8