Apr 3, 2014, 4:04 PM EDT
After three seasons at North Carolina forward James McAdoo is headed to the NBA.
He made it official with an announcement through the university Thursday.
“I just feel I am ready to play at the next level and excited about that challenge,” McAdoo said in a released statement. “I had chances to go after my freshman and sophomore years but was more excited about coming back to school then. Right now I am excited about fulfilling my dream to play in the NBA and do what I have to do to take that next step.”
McAdoo is likely a second round pick (DraftExpress has him 25th in the second round, which is close to undrafted), a 6’9” power forward who is athletic but can’t really space the floor — he didn’t shoot the college three and he was a mess from the midrange, reports PBT’s NBA Draft expert Scott Isaacson of NBADraftBlog.com and Rotoworld. McAdoo has good physical tools and has good defensive instincts, but his offensive game outside 8 feet will make him easy to guard at the next level.
He has a lot of work to do to really contribute at the NBA but his development stalled out at the college level so this was likely the right move, Isaacson said.
Yes, James is related to NBA legend Bob McAdoo — Bob is James’ second cousin once removed. As best as I can figure out.
- Hobbled Chris Paul, Clippers’ role players do just enough to dethrone Spurs in Game 7 1
- Chris Paul banks in game winner to lift Clippers past Spurs (VIDEO) 20
- PBT Extra: Can Clippers build on Game 6 win? 2
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Derrick Rose got it done on both ends in first round 2
- Hawks eliminate Nets from playoffs with blowout victory in Game 6 9
- PBT Extra: Clash of styles favors Warriors over Grizzlies 4
- PBT Second-Round Playoff Previews: Golden State Warriors vs. Memphis Grizzlies 3
- PBT Extra: Bulls have shot to upset Cavaliers 16