Apr 3, 2014, 4:04 PM EDT
After three seasons at North Carolina forward James McAdoo is headed to the NBA.
He made it official with an announcement through the university Thursday.
“I just feel I am ready to play at the next level and excited about that challenge,” McAdoo said in a released statement. “I had chances to go after my freshman and sophomore years but was more excited about coming back to school then. Right now I am excited about fulfilling my dream to play in the NBA and do what I have to do to take that next step.”
McAdoo is likely a second round pick (DraftExpress has him 25th in the second round, which is close to undrafted), a 6’9” power forward who is athletic but can’t really space the floor — he didn’t shoot the college three and he was a mess from the midrange, reports PBT’s NBA Draft expert Scott Isaacson of NBADraftBlog.com and Rotoworld. McAdoo has good physical tools and has good defensive instincts, but his offensive game outside 8 feet will make him easy to guard at the next level.
He has a lot of work to do to really contribute at the NBA but his development stalled out at the college level so this was likely the right move, Isaacson said.
Yes, James is related to NBA legend Bob McAdoo — Bob is James’ second cousin once removed. As best as I can figure out.
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 8
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 8
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 40
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 12
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 60
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 60
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 73