Kevin Durant repeatedly called DeSean Jackson to pitch the Redskins

Apr 3, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT

Washington Redskins v Green Bay Packers

Kevin Durant has won over Oklahoma City fans despite attending the University of Texas.

Now, he’s really pushing his luck in Dallas Cowboys country.

Durant, who was born in Washington D.C., is a Redskins fan. That’s surely a tough pill to swallow for some Cowboys/Thunder fans, but it only gets tougher when he uses his clout to help the Cowboys’ division rival.

It’d be one thing if Durant just sent a quick tweet to free agent wide receiver DeSean Jackson, which he did.

But Durant went further.

Durant on ESPN 980′s Inside the Locker Room, as transcribed by Dan Steinberg of DC Sports Bog:

“I’m gonna put it like this: Wale is a good friend of mine as well,” Jackson said. “He’s a good rapper, he does his thing out here in D.C., puts on for the city. It was a little influenced by Wale. Another influence was my boy Durant. Kevin Durant been calling me, he been calling and saying man you know how I’d go crazy for you to be in D.C. I mean, what better place is there for me to be? I’m happy to be here. I’m glad, man, honestly I can say that.”

Jackson ultimately signed with the Redskins, and if he helps Washington beat Dallas this fall, Cowboys fans will know whom to blame.

I suspect the ones living in Oklahoma, though, will forgive Durant.

1. uscoach - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Durant to Wizards when he re-ups?

• aboogy123456 - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:46 AM

I could definitely see it. They are a pretty big market and have a budding superstar in Wall, and also a star in Beal. Wizards will have cap space and Durant would fit in well with those guys. I think he would feel guilty leaving OKC, but he could sell it as wanting to move back home. If he does leave, I think Wizards are at the top of the list.

2. knicksmets - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Don’t see the problem he’s a redskin fan and is a person too. Anyone who has a problem with this is insecure and can’t handle athletes having their own allegiance when it comes to sports that they don’t play.

• philswfc08 - Apr 3, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Agreed, it’s so dumb to think that b/c these guys are employed by a team in a certain city that they have to ditch their allegiance to a rival city/team in a different sport.

I’d think less of Durant if he turned on his Skins (which he grew up rooting for) to be a Cowpokes fan, just b/c he plays bball in an area where most people are Cowpokes fans. Stay true to your hometown (for other sports, him supporting the Wiz would be a violation).

• adoombray - Apr 3, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Dude, people in Oklahoma HATE Texas, Oklahoma isn’t “Cowboy territory” by a really long shot.

3. nykfanwakemeupin2015 - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Crazy how much I liked Durant until seeing him wear those colors

4. felser - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Remains to be seen how much Durant has actually “helped” the Skins. DJax doesn’t address the core needs of that team (O-Line, D), and is gonna be a mess when Garcon gets more touches than he does.

• asimonetti88 - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:42 AM

It doesn’t address their biggest weaknesses, no, but any time you can add a player of Jackson’s ability, it’s a win.

• unxpexted1 - Apr 3, 2014 at 1:41 PM

There wide receiver core is subpar, and its not good when the fastest person on your offense is your QB

• spthegr8 - Apr 3, 2014 at 8:58 PM

^^^^ Rg3 is NOWHERE close to being faster that D Jack…. Lmao!!^^^^ IJS!!!

5. jburk003 - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Soooo, he went to DC for a rapper and a pro ball player??

Whatever happened to making the best choice for “my family and I”

Selfish. What happened to “for the love of the game”??

• casualcommenter - Apr 3, 2014 at 12:15 PM

“Whatever happened to making the best choice for “my family and I””

Yes. How will DeSean Jackson possibly provide for his family?

The Redskins only gave him a $24 million deal with $16 million fully guaranteed.
      That’s barely enough to give his kids lunch money every day. What a monster!

• casualcommenter - Apr 3, 2014 at 12:16 PM

(Insert obvious Latrell Sprewell joke here)

• mytthor - Apr 4, 2014 at 12:40 AM

He doesn’t love the game in Washington?

The point isn’t that it’s a rapper and a pro ball player, they’re his friends.

How is this selfish? He should, what? Beg to stay with a team that doesn’t want him? How do you know this isn’t the best choice for his family?

I’m seriously wanting to know how you spin this to selfishness.

6. 00maltliquor - Apr 3, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Damn you Durant!! My Raiders were next in line to scoop him up!

7. mrbiz8505 - Apr 3, 2014 at 12:28 PM

LeBron wants him to join the Seahawks….because he’s a big Seahawks fan right now.

• sire2334 - Apr 3, 2014 at 2:44 PM

This is how you comment…hilarious. And probably true.

8. jayrandle - Apr 3, 2014 at 12:28 PM

K.D. and DeSean Jackson…
    Part of the same gang?

• mytthor - Apr 4, 2014 at 12:43 AM

Ignorant chump. Kevin Durant has no more gang ties than Kevin Bacon.

This is the most racist crap I’ve read today, and I’ve been reading YouTube comments, so THAT’S saying something!

• markdamack - Apr 4, 2014 at 9:15 AM

Just because they are black, doesn’t make it racist. THAT’s ignorant.

• mytthor - Apr 6, 2014 at 7:55 PM

He’s suggesting that KD is a member of a gang. Are you suggesting there’s something about KD, other than the color of his skin, that would suggest he’s a gang member? Is there some stereotype about 3-point shooters or dudes who wear backpacks being gang members?

9. middy8484 - Apr 3, 2014 at 12:54 PM

De Slump is a overrated wr

10. tomtravis76 - Apr 3, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Durant would forever own DC if he took the wizards/hopefully they go back to bullets if he came home and won a title.
    And if Boston gives Brady a pass for being a Yankees fan, I think every fan base can get over guys being fans of other teams.

11. iammr713 - Apr 3, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Now the summer of 2016, DeSean can call KD and tell him how crazy & excited he would be if he joined the Lakers.

12. getsome99 - Apr 4, 2014 at 1:31 AM

I wonder what Durant’s thoughts are on the ‘R word’ nickname controversy given he lives and plays in the heart of Native American country.

• turkbox420 - Apr 4, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Probably had none like everyone else until ESPN started complaining. I hate that channel, I only watch it and ABC for NBA games and MNF. I get my news elsewhere.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches