Chris Bosh still has one of Pat Riley’s championship rings

Apr 3, 2014, 9:13 PM EDT

Chicago Bulls vs Miami Heat Getty Images

When LeBron James was considering multiple teams in free agency during the summer of 2010, Heat executive Pat Riley famously threw his championship rings on the table in the ultimate show of legitimacy to close the deal.

The rings at this point are selling tools more than they are personal treasures, as evidenced by the fact that Riley was willing to give one away in order to land one of his most important free agent recruits.

From Michael Wallace of ESPN.com:

Riley dropped a bag full of title rings on LeBron’s table in Cleveland during their 2010 meeting. He has flashed at least one of them to a few other free-agent targets over the years.

Bosh took matters a step further.

“He gave me one of his championship rings from 2006, and was like, ‘You give me that back when you come here and win yours.'” Bosh said. “So I took it. I was like, ‘Oh, man!’ Don’t tell me to take something if you don’t want me to take it. I’ve still got it, too. But I told him I’d give it back after this year.”

Bosh now has two rings of his own that he earned over the past two seasons in Miami. But the one from Riley he still possesses may mean almost as much.

1. pantsfreezone - Apr 3, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Riley is awesome.

• nflcrimerankingscom - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:51 PM

Ain’t that proof of collusion?

• pantsfreezone - Apr 4, 2014 at 1:53 AM

Do you know what collusion actually means? I’m guessing not.

2. purplehaze1127 - Apr 3, 2014 at 9:42 PM

Props to Pat Riley for pulling a Russell Hantz move.

• pantsfreezone - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:27 PM

Reminds me of the Ben Affleck scene in Boiler Room where he throws his Ferrari 355 Cabriolet keys on the table during his recruitment speech.

3. volcom2143 - Apr 3, 2014 at 9:58 PM

Pat Riley should be called Swaggy P

4. southbeachtalent - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:47 PM

The Don..

5. jacobk621 - Apr 4, 2014 at 12:47 AM

Isn’t possession 9/10 of the law ?? Lol !!!!

6. 1972wasalongtimeago - Apr 4, 2014 at 3:59 AM

Fizdale did the same thing to this smoking hot girl at Ultra last week. Totally worked

7. cantonbound13 - Apr 4, 2014 at 6:20 AM

Even Riley know 2006 wasn’t earned. That’s a gift from Donoghey & his boys, not Riley.

• 1972wasalongtimeago - Apr 4, 2014 at 6:52 AM

Watching Wade from 2006 is like watching Lindemuller in 1991

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches