Meyers Leonard ejected for flagrantly fouling Kendall Marshall

Apr 2, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT

Meyers Leonard was ejected from the Trail Blazers’ win over the Lakers night, drawing a flagrant 2 for pulling Kendall Marshall to the floor by the back of his neck.

The perils of being 7-foot-1 and fouling a guard. I think Leonard meant only to prevent Marshall from making a shot while being fouled, but because Marshall is so much shorter, Leonard hit him high.

I still think it’s the right call, though. Intent should not matter in cases like this. Despite his height, Leonard should take care not to make plays that come with such high risk of injuring opponents.

(video hat tip: Ben Golliver of Point Forward)

1. jsala02 - Apr 2, 2014 at 10:42 AM

this guy is a scumbag.

• lowercasejay - Apr 2, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Naw, he’s just clueless.

• trevorcolby - Apr 2, 2014 at 1:04 PM

…..and a truck load of dumb at least. I mean, there are only seconds to go in a already won game and then you do this stoopid move ? If I would be the coach of Portland, I would suspend him for the rest of the season.

• pbtunpaidwriter - Apr 2, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Flagrant 2 is a little ridiculous. I’ve seen much worse.

I thought it was a solid Flagrant 1 but 2 is over the top. I like his game though, big solid frame and can shoot mid range shots. If he leaves, Pop will make him the next Tiago Splitter.

• ProBasketballPundit - Apr 3, 2014 at 8:24 PM

@trevorcolby Dude. Do you seriously not know how to spell stupid? Feel free to read a book or two. Get a little less stoopid.

• eugenesaxe1 - Apr 2, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Nah, but you ARE clueless.
      He wasn’t out to hurt anyone, it’s not even *that* big a foul. Flagrant 1, yes. 2, no way.

2. theromeo2k - Apr 2, 2014 at 12:20 PM

At least the Lakers are a civilized team.

3. chrisbcarter82 - Apr 2, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Any particular reason Meyers Leonard didn’t just try and contest Kendall Marshall’s shot? Meyers is 7’1” and all….Kendall Marshall is 6’5″ or so…..

• ranfan12 - Apr 2, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Brain fart

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches