Apr 2, 2014, 1:48 PM EDT
Then Nerlens Noel started working out with teammates and that got people wondering if he will play in a handful of games before the end of the season.
But Noel is starting to really impress at Sixers practices, Lynam adds.
“The first thing that I have fallen in love with is that he is beyond competitive,” (Sixers coach Brett) Brown said after Thursday’s practice. “There is a dog in him, a toughness in him that I misjudged…
“He is a fierce competitor and that is the number one quality for me that makes someone special,” Brown said. “Then you get into the athleticism. He has a bounce. People that can block a shot, hit the floor and go back up are special and he can do it with both his right hand and left hand.”
The plan all along was to keep him out all season, no matter how much he wanted to return.
The Sixers are going to have a couple high picks in this draft (theirs, very likely top three, plus the Pelicans’ first rounder, which is top five protected) and that is where the hope comes in. You can pair Michael Carter-Williams with Noel and a couple of lottery picks… that’s a lot of losses next season but a potentially very interesting young core. One that can mature and grow together.
That plan can’t be rushed. It’s going to take time, which means no Noel until the Summer League.
But that is going to be one intriguing Sixers Summer League squad.
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 6
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 8
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 28
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 25
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 26