Dwyane Wade says he, LeBron James and Chris Bosh will huddle together before free agency

Apr 2, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT

Houston Rockets v Miami Heat

The Miami Heat, unlike any team in NBA history, were assembled by players rather than management.

Pat Riley shrewdly cleared cap space and presented a good landing spot in Miami. But if LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh didn’t sell each other – and buy each other’s pitches – on teaming up, the Heat’s Big Three era never would have happened.

The Heat as we know them were a collective decision by LeBron, Wade and Bosh. So, the Heat as we will know them going forward will also be collective decision by LeBron, Wade and Bosh

Wade, via Darren Rovell of ESPN:

“I’m at a position where I don’t really have to worry about it,” said Wade, who also won a title for the Heat in 2006. “I’ve been with the same organization for now 11 years. We’ve won multiple championships, so it’s no reason where I need to think about that yet. I’m not at a point where we are a bad team and I need to think about the future so right now I’m really focused on just enjoying this team, enjoying our quest to try to ‘Three-peat.’ And when the season is over, and whatever happens, then I will sit down and I will sit down with Chris and I will sit down with Bron and I will sit down and make the best decision for myself and my family.”

As you’ve surely heard, each of the Big Three can opt out of his contract this summer. To do that needn’t be a collective decision. A player can opt out and then re-sign to get more long-term security, joining teammates who did not opt out.

But whether or not to stay with the Heat, I suspect, will be a collective decision. And I would be surprised if these three choose to leave Miami unless something goes very wrong between now and the end of the season – and I mean more drastic than failing to win a third straight title.

Even if there are underlying issues between the Big Three, this post-postseason meeting will be a great chance to iron them out. Really, I’d guess the conversation will go smoothly, though.

1. elwaysagenius - Apr 2, 2014 at 10:29 AM

What’s stopping them from taking between 10-12M each and having room to bring in another star player (ie Melo)?

• cantonbound13 - Apr 2, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Ego & their wives. Wade would have some nerve to want the same amount of money as LeBron.

• sportsfan18 - Apr 2, 2014 at 5:05 PM

cantonbound

you say Wade would have some nerve to want the same amount of money as LeBron?

You do REALIZE that for the past three seasons and this season that Chris Bosh has made the exact same salary as LeBron has each of those seasons?

And Lebron was a two time defending league MVP the year he joined the Heat.

D Wade took a few peanuts less than both LeBron and Bosh to welcome them to Miami, where it had been HIS team.

LBJ only has the 9th highest salary in the league this yr and he’s been the best player for a long time now…

Funny, LBJ took LESS money and he has a couple of rings now…

Carmelo came into the league the same year LeBron did and he has earned more money than LeBron as he took the most money he could get and he has ZERO rings…

I think LBJ will opt out, but resign with the Heat for the max.

I’d imagine it would be a short meeting with Pat Riley. LBJ would walk in and say Hi Pat. I’ve played for you the past 4 seasons, we’ve won 2 titles (at least as this season isn’t done yet) and we’ve been to the Finals three straight times (might be four after this season) and I took LESS money coming here.

I’m OK that I took less, it was to win and win we did. But now that I helped bring titles to Miami for less money while being the leagues best player, I think I’ll take the max contract now.

Thanks Pat and enjoy your summer.

(LBJ did just talk about that he wished the NBA had the huge contracts like they have in major league baseball – LBJ is gonna take the money this time as he took less money for titles, which he now has).

• antistratfordian - Apr 2, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Ego was supposed to stop LeBron, Bosh and Wade from teaming up in the first place.

Bron mentioned something previously about the possibility of all three of them taking salary cuts again. With these three guys, I wouldn’t be surprised.

James also applauded Melo when he said he’d take a pay cut for the Knicks. Bronny: “What I got out of it is, he wants to win. Everyone says they want to win, but that’s what it’s about.”

• bucrightoff - Apr 2, 2014 at 11:00 AM

What Canton said, plus for these guys (maybe not LeBron) this is their last chance for a big contract. And they all just took pay cuts. I don’t see them taking a big discount to stay, if any discount at all.

• bougin89 - Apr 2, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Exactly. I think it’s hilarious some people think Lebron is going to only take 10-12 million a year only to add another star. He’d be underpaid at the max the way it is he certainly wouldn’t take roughly half of what he could make per year.

• mogogo1 - Apr 2, 2014 at 7:04 PM

I will say that if any of them would sign on the cheap, LeBron would be the best bet since he has so many endorsements. Forbes has LeBron making twice as much money overall as Wade, and Wade has considerably more endorsement deals than Bosh. Those two depend on their NBA salary for the majority of their income, so not likely they’ll sign a super-cheap deal.

2. lj312chicago - Apr 2, 2014 at 10:38 AM

For 1… Pay Reilly isn’t an idiot….

• lj312chicago - Apr 2, 2014 at 10:46 AM

If they decide to go anywhere…..which I doubt they will….the two sexiest cities with cap space…Los Angeles, who only have Kobe and Nash on the books…..and Chicago who actually have a solid foundation and who could make a little more room and make an offer to 1 of the 3 for around $16-18 in the first year of a 3 year deal…..but like I said…I doubt they go anywhere….

• cantonbound13 - Apr 2, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Says the guy who mispelled Riley.

• reesesteel23 - Apr 2, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Misspelled*

• eugenesaxe1 - Apr 2, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Says the guy who misspelled misspelled.

3. pfic15 - Apr 2, 2014 at 10:47 AM

I’m thinking one of the 3 leaves. Most likely Bosh as many have forgotten how effective he was in Toronto. Amazingly he’s been the most likeable of the 3 to me as the guy appears to have an authentic desire to win. Perhaps its because he’s the least covered of the 3…

4. miamatt - Apr 2, 2014 at 10:57 AM

“then I will sit down and I will sit down with Chris and I will sit down with Bron and I will sit down…”

Then I will comment and I will comment about basketball and I will comment about the Heat and I will comment…

5. chicagosports2014 - Apr 2, 2014 at 11:01 AM

dum articles, these MF talk about free agency every day there on the same team

• fanofthegame79 - Apr 2, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Says the guy that clicked on, and read the “dum” article.

• chicagosports2014 - Apr 2, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Read “Topic” didn’t waste my time reading it, like you.

• fanofthegame79 - Apr 2, 2014 at 6:08 PM

Ok, you clicked on the “dum” “Topic” and added nothing with you “dum” response. Better?

6. jbeagles23 - Apr 2, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Here’s the decision. Wade gets a huge contract and other two take discounts cause they’ll get another contract while this will be wades last

• bougin89 - Apr 2, 2014 at 11:48 AM

If you’re betting Lebron will be making less than Wade or Bosh after this season I’d try to get your money back.

7. beach305 - Apr 2, 2014 at 11:45 AM

With the tax penalty being so punitive; unless they rework there contracts It will be harder to win next year.

8. bougin89 - Apr 2, 2014 at 11:47 AM

When they have this talk come this offseason it won’t be the first time they’ve had one of these talks.

• chiadam - Apr 2, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Wait…what?

• bougin89 - Apr 2, 2014 at 12:59 PM

This summer won’t be the first time they’ve talked about what they want to do. They know what each other wants. Of course how the playoffs play out will be one of the factors in their decision(s) too.

9. mrbiz8505 - Apr 2, 2014 at 12:19 PM

of course they will…..they illegally did it before they all signed with Miami

• spursareold - Apr 2, 2014 at 1:11 PM

Actually not illegal under the CBA for players to talk before their contracts are up.

10. spursareold - Apr 2, 2014 at 1:10 PM

The thing is, with 3 MAX guys, less and less quality help is available on the FA market at minimum price, and more and more of a load falls on LeBron, as Wade’s knee disintegrates. Between the Heat and USA*Basketball, he’s going to be exhausted at the end of every season if he has to carry the load.

11. cantonbound13 - Apr 2, 2014 at 2:09 PM

LeBron should get 21 million
    Bosh should get 17 million
    Wade should get 14 million

• southbeachtalent - Apr 2, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Lebron would be able to afford a lot of PED’s with 21M!!

• sportsfan18 - Apr 2, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Why should LeBron make less than old man Kobe?

• eugenesaxe1 - Apr 2, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Because Kobe’s been around longer, played for one team his entire career, and due to the way contracts are set up, Kobe is entitled to a higher max.

• miamboy - Apr 3, 2014 at 8:39 AM

I wish I could reply to his reply?your RIGHT!lebron should make more than kobe next year! And he knows that!

12. eugenesaxe1 - Apr 2, 2014 at 6:53 PM

I’d love to be in on that conversation, esp. the part where LBJ tells Wade he needs to take a huge paycut because part-time players don’t deserve near-max money.

• miamboy - Apr 3, 2014 at 8:36 AM

THANK YOU!and that’s coming from a heat fan!(and not a bandwagon fan that jump on during the playoff’s)

13. bbk1000 - Apr 2, 2014 at 6:55 PM

My lord…..I’m guessing they’ll be in their jammies….

I hope a pillow fight doesn’t break out…..

14. miamboy - Apr 3, 2014 at 8:34 AM

first of all! Let’s just see how D-WADEcomes back into a team he hasn’t played with in the last 2 weeks, and not only that, Douglas has done a great job. Someone tell me what other team would take a player that needs to be rested for 4 games at a time?he’s a great player…but,the three rings have taken it’s toll on his body!PLEASE…Miami!you need to get one other big man,and that’s it!if we can keep this team intact.EVERYTHING IS ALL GOOD!

• bougin89 - Apr 3, 2014 at 9:41 AM

“Someone tell me what other team would take a player that needs to be rested for 4 games at a time?”

Hasn’t it been obvious enough that they need Wade in the playoffs? Lebron does all the heavy lifting of course but Wade has been vital in all of their playoff runs, even if he hasn’t been/can’t be great in every single playoff game anymore.

15. soopreme - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Its no way the Wade would take less than what he can opt in for.
    To me, What they should do is try to trade Bosh and get younger and/or move up in the lottery.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches