Apr 1, 2014, 1:14 PM EST
Spurs coach Gregg Popovich will be quick to correct any reporter who asks if he is “happy” with a player or the way the team is performing. Coaches are never happy, they are always worried in Popovich’s world.
So no, he’s not happy with the Spurs 18 game winning streak.
He’s been there before — the Spurs won 20 in a row including sweeping through the early rounds of the playoffs in 2012, only to have the Thunder overwhelm them in the conference finals.
No reporter who follows the Spurs is going to ask Popovich if he’s happy, so they asked Tony Parker instead, reports the Indy Star.
Point guard Tony Parker couldn’t help but be amused when asked how Popovich is handling the Spurs’ 18-game winning streak — a franchise record set with ease in Monday’s 103-77 road win over Indiana at Bankers Life Fieldhouse.
“I don’t know. I think he’ll be happy if we lose any time soon,” Parker said.
Someone uttered the word “sabotage.” Parker laughed and said, “I’m pretty sure. He’s going to rest like half of the team.”
The Spurs will lose a game or two before the playoffs for just that reason — Popovich cares more about having his players rested for the playoffs than the team’s record. Which is easier to do when the Spurs are going to have the best record in the West anyway.
Right now the Spurs are at the top of their game, executing better than anyone in the league. He should be relatively happy. The question that should keep Popovich and Spurs fans up at night should be this: Is the best the Thunder or Clippers can play, with all their athletes, better than the best the Spurs can play? Those other teams are not there yet, but what if?
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 0
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 41
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 4
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 39
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 10