Rudy Gay still deciding whether to opt in (for $19.3 million) or become free agent

Apr 1, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT

Rudy Gay, Derrick Williams, Devin Harris AP

Rudy Gay doesn’t know what he wants to do.

He well may not until June 30.

Gay, 27 and in his prime, has two options: 1) Opt in and collect $19.3 million next season, play with the Kings for a year then become a 2015 free agent; 2) Opt out, get the security of a four year deal with Sacramento or another place at less money per year but with more money overall and more security.

With that comes this question: Does he want to stay in Sacramento? He has played well — and surprisingly efficiently, a true shooting percentage of .570 in Sacramento compared to .468 in Toronto — with the Kings, but does he want to go to a team that might win more quickly?

Gay doesn’t know what he wants to do, as he told Scott Howard-Cooper of NBA.com.

“What does my gut tell me?” Gay says of the looming decision and possibly decisions, plural. “I don’t know. My gut tells me different things every day.”

Gay isn’t committing anywhere, but Howard-Cooper said he sounds like a guy who wants to say in Sacramento.

Being 28 at the start of next training camp and being on a team that just finished at or very near the bottom of the Western Conference? “I’m not the age right now where I just have to be on a championship team,” he says. “Right now, I’m at the age where I can still make a good team great. Rebuilding, I possibly could do that too. Those are the things I have to weigh. Do I want to be on the rebuilding side? Do I want to make a good team great?”

Wanting to feel a connection where he works and lives? “These people have been so great to me. They’ve been really great to me, to my family. They’ve been great. The coaches have all welcomed with me with open arms. Everybody in the organization. Vivek (Ranadive), he’s a great owner. I think this team will be good in the future. I do think so. I’m not throwing out the notion that I will be here. They know that they have a chance of me being here.”

We will see, everything changes when the money is on the table.

If I were offering advice it would be for Gay to opt in, make the big bank and improve his reputation playing efficiently in the Kings’ system, then in 2015 join a large and impressive free agent class where if he wants to team up with someone to win he can. But that comes with risks, the biggest of which is injury.

It’s not an easy decision and clearly it already weighs some on Gay, and will more so in a couple weeks when the Kings’ season comes to an end.

1. jolink653 - Apr 1, 2014 at 5:13 PM

I’m not sure Gay would get anything close to that on the open market, and he may be better off waiting until 2015 and teaming up with one or more of the other stars that may possibly be moving to another team. Gay can be a really solid piece on a team that needs some scoring

2. doctordunkenstein - Apr 1, 2014 at 5:15 PM

theres a reason every team this guy leaves does better after hes gone…

3. kb2408 - Apr 1, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Man, professional atheletes have really changed….for the worse!! You have guys that want to win right now regardless of their age…then you have guys like Gay who basically is saying he is ok with rebuilding.

4. RavenzGunnerz - Apr 1, 2014 at 5:25 PM

What’s there to decide? 19.3mil for a player I wouldn’t give 5mil.

• romestar82 - Apr 1, 2014 at 5:37 PM

exactly 1 yr 19 mil or 2 yrs 5 mil ?
      IDIOT!!!

• spursareold - Apr 1, 2014 at 6:01 PM

Yeah, I’m thinking that 19.3M would be two, or maybe even three years of his new deal. GMs tend to take contract year improvement with a grain of salt. He’s been an inefficient chucker his whole career up until he was traded.

5. djlexluger - Apr 1, 2014 at 5:53 PM

If he’s smart he’d opt in he’s not getting. Another big contract.

6. ProBasketballPundit - Apr 1, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Dude, you’ve been traded twice in the last year and both times your former team improved significantly just by getting rid of you. That $19 million opt-in is practically a winning lottery ticket.

• adoombray - Apr 1, 2014 at 10:39 PM

Yeah he’s out of his mind if he thinks theres an offer on the table better than maybe 7 or 8 on the high end of the per year on any contract that is out there. Dallas overpaid for Monta Ellis and I wouldn’t take him over Ellis. This is as no brainer as it gets.

7. chicagosports2014 - Apr 1, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Opt in I agree, cause his next contract would be 4 years 19.3mill

8. sportsnut101 - Apr 1, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Stay there for next yr no 1 is giving u 4yrs 60 mil unless it’s bobcats if they have capspace
    I like him with Kings they need bench help n better veterans

9. cmehustle - Apr 1, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Thats a lot of Cashe! Count me in for that amount. I’ll hit up free agency next year lol!

10. j0esixpack - Apr 1, 2014 at 7:02 PM

Can’t these guys take the 1 year guaranteed money and take out an insurance policy to cover future earnings in case of injury?

All it comes down to is whether his agent is getting good offers now or prefers to wait a season and see what develops

11. pfic15 - Apr 1, 2014 at 7:48 PM

How did this guy ever get this deal?

12. blakegblogs - Apr 1, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Oh my god, tidy gay has been all over the league! And he might even leave again!

13. bubbalynch - Apr 1, 2014 at 10:41 PM

I’m willing to clip my testies if he opts out!

14. naterich21 - Apr 1, 2014 at 11:08 PM

It would be the worst financial decision of his life if he doesn’t opt in.

15. getthat18now - Apr 2, 2014 at 5:28 AM

Maybe after being traded twice in a season, he finally realizes he is not worth that much. The guilt must be killing him, so he wants to opt out to go for what he really should get.

16. csbanter - Apr 2, 2014 at 8:03 AM

Any player that doesn’t take advantage of a big deal will forever be known as “Max Scherzer” . Gay should secure long term deal. Stick around in Sacramento, Andrew Wiggins, Rudy Gay, Cousins upgrade the point you never know. It happened in Phoenix.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches