Apr 1, 2014, 9:53 AM EST
Johnny O’Bryant III entered LSU as a McDonald’s All-American and Parade magazine All-American. He’s improved each season in Baton Rouge.
But he’s still not a sure-fire draft pick.
College seniors are often seen as flawed because they never were good enough to leave early. O’Bryant, who just completed his junior season, will reportedly at least avoid that fate.
LSU basketball star Johnny O’Bryant III will announce he’s entering the NBA Draft Tuesday, according to O’Bryant’s high school coach from Mississippi who talked to a Greenville TV station Monday night.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $35,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Tuesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 8pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
O’Bryant, a 6-foot-9, 256-pound power forward, averaged 15.4 points and 7.7 rebounds per game this season. But he’s battled conditioning issues in the past, a concern for a player of his size who isn’t an elite athlete.
Late in the second round, O’Bryant will be competing with foreign players whom NBA teams can stash overseas as they develop. If O’Bryant is willing to delay signing a contract and shows he’s comfortable playing overseas while his NBA team retains his draft rights, he can substantially increase his odds of getting drafted.
- LeBron, after Cavaliers lose by 23 at home to Pistons: ‘Right now we are not very good. In every aspect of the game’ 19
- Paul Pierce ‘shocked’ by Celtics trade of Rajon Rondo to Mavericks 11
- Kobe Bryant will return to Lakers lineup Sunday vs. Suns 14
- Kevin Love benched entire fourth quarter of Cavaliers win over Magic 27
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 19
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 12
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 15
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 20