Apr 1, 2014, 9:53 AM EDT
Johnny O’Bryant III entered LSU as a McDonald’s All-American and Parade magazine All-American. He’s improved each season in Baton Rouge.
But he’s still not a sure-fire draft pick.
College seniors are often seen as flawed because they never were good enough to leave early. O’Bryant, who just completed his junior season, will reportedly at least avoid that fate.
LSU basketball star Johnny O’Bryant III will announce he’s entering the NBA Draft Tuesday, according to O’Bryant’s high school coach from Mississippi who talked to a Greenville TV station Monday night.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $35,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Tuesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 8pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
O’Bryant, a 6-foot-9, 256-pound power forward, averaged 15.4 points and 7.7 rebounds per game this season. But he’s battled conditioning issues in the past, a concern for a player of his size who isn’t an elite athlete.
Late in the second round, O’Bryant will be competing with foreign players whom NBA teams can stash overseas as they develop. If O’Bryant is willing to delay signing a contract and shows he’s comfortable playing overseas while his NBA team retains his draft rights, he can substantially increase his odds of getting drafted.
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 2
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 1
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 17
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 6
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 52
- Mike Conley out for Game 4 with “serious” facial injury, no timetable for return 6
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 2
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 6