Apr 1, 2014, 9:53 AM EDT
Johnny O’Bryant III entered LSU as a McDonald’s All-American and Parade magazine All-American. He’s improved each season in Baton Rouge.
But he’s still not a sure-fire draft pick.
College seniors are often seen as flawed because they never were good enough to leave early. O’Bryant, who just completed his junior season, will reportedly at least avoid that fate.
LSU basketball star Johnny O’Bryant III will announce he’s entering the NBA Draft Tuesday, according to O’Bryant’s high school coach from Mississippi who talked to a Greenville TV station Monday night.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $35,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Tuesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 8pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
O’Bryant, a 6-foot-9, 256-pound power forward, averaged 15.4 points and 7.7 rebounds per game this season. But he’s battled conditioning issues in the past, a concern for a player of his size who isn’t an elite athlete.
Late in the second round, O’Bryant will be competing with foreign players whom NBA teams can stash overseas as they develop. If O’Bryant is willing to delay signing a contract and shows he’s comfortable playing overseas while his NBA team retains his draft rights, he can substantially increase his odds of getting drafted.
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 0
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 35
- Deron Williams fires back at Kobe: “If I’m 0-for-f******-9, I’m not shooting 20 more shots” 43
- LeBron James on running the Cavaliers offense: ‘This is Kyrie’s show’ 28