Apr 1, 2014, 9:53 AM EDT
Johnny O’Bryant III entered LSU as a McDonald’s All-American and Parade magazine All-American. He’s improved each season in Baton Rouge.
But he’s still not a sure-fire draft pick.
College seniors are often seen as flawed because they never were good enough to leave early. O’Bryant, who just completed his junior season, will reportedly at least avoid that fate.
LSU basketball star Johnny O’Bryant III will announce he’s entering the NBA Draft Tuesday, according to O’Bryant’s high school coach from Mississippi who talked to a Greenville TV station Monday night.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $35,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Tuesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 8pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
O’Bryant, a 6-foot-9, 256-pound power forward, averaged 15.4 points and 7.7 rebounds per game this season. But he’s battled conditioning issues in the past, a concern for a player of his size who isn’t an elite athlete.
Late in the second round, O’Bryant will be competing with foreign players whom NBA teams can stash overseas as they develop. If O’Bryant is willing to delay signing a contract and shows he’s comfortable playing overseas while his NBA team retains his draft rights, he can substantially increase his odds of getting drafted.
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 10
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 26
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 17
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 16