Apr 1, 2014, 9:53 AM EST
Johnny O’Bryant III entered LSU as a McDonald’s All-American and Parade magazine All-American. He’s improved each season in Baton Rouge.
But he’s still not a sure-fire draft pick.
College seniors are often seen as flawed because they never were good enough to leave early. O’Bryant, who just completed his junior season, will reportedly at least avoid that fate.
LSU basketball star Johnny O’Bryant III will announce he’s entering the NBA Draft Tuesday, according to O’Bryant’s high school coach from Mississippi who talked to a Greenville TV station Monday night.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $35,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Tuesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 8pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
O’Bryant, a 6-foot-9, 256-pound power forward, averaged 15.4 points and 7.7 rebounds per game this season. But he’s battled conditioning issues in the past, a concern for a player of his size who isn’t an elite athlete.
Late in the second round, O’Bryant will be competing with foreign players whom NBA teams can stash overseas as they develop. If O’Bryant is willing to delay signing a contract and shows he’s comfortable playing overseas while his NBA team retains his draft rights, he can substantially increase his odds of getting drafted.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Is this rock bottom for Oklahoma City? 0
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 33
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 5
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 17
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 15
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 25
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 8
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11