Apr 1, 2014, 3:50 PM EST
Being the agent for an NBA Draft first-round pick is really about marketing opportunities and working with the team to make sure the guy gets a shot — rookie contracts in the NBA are slotted, there are no serious negotiations until the second deal.
If it’s down to marketing and creating a brand, Jay-Z has a lot of sway.
Which is why he and his agency Roc Nation may land top pick potential No. 1 pick Andrew Wiggins, reports Chris Haynes at CSNNW.com.
According to league sources, Wiggins is in the process of choosing between Hip Hop mogul Jay-Z’s Roc Nation and one other unknown agency for player representation. Rich Paul, LeBron James’ agent, was rumored to be in the mix but we were informed Paul never recruited the forward.
Jared Zwerling of Bleacher Report filled in the other name.
Wiggins made it official he will enter the NBA draft on Monday. He is on the top of a lot of NBA draft board and isn’t really below No. 2 on any of them (that we’ve heard of).
Wiggins would be well represented either way, it’s where he feels more comfortable. But this is where Jay-Z’s brand — and ability to brand — is a draw. Also know that players who are unhappy with their situation often will change to a more aggressive agent if they want to get something specific done, so who Wiggins chooses now and who he has when it is time for actual contract negotiations may well be different.
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 8
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 5
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 24
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 30
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 1
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0