Apr 1, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
Being the agent for an NBA Draft first-round pick is really about marketing opportunities and working with the team to make sure the guy gets a shot — rookie contracts in the NBA are slotted, there are no serious negotiations until the second deal.
If it’s down to marketing and creating a brand, Jay-Z has a lot of sway.
Which is why he and his agency Roc Nation may land top pick potential No. 1 pick Andrew Wiggins, reports Chris Haynes at CSNNW.com.
According to league sources, Wiggins is in the process of choosing between Hip Hop mogul Jay-Z’s Roc Nation and one other unknown agency for player representation. Rich Paul, LeBron James’ agent, was rumored to be in the mix but we were informed Paul never recruited the forward.
Jared Zwerling of Bleacher Report filled in the other name.
Hearing Wasserman is close to signing Marcus Smart for representation. As for Wiggins, hearing Jay Z and Bill Duffy are leading candidates.—
Jared Zwerling (@JaredZwerling) April 01, 2014
Wiggins made it official he will enter the NBA draft on Monday. He is on the top of a lot of NBA draft board and isn’t really below No. 2 on any of them (that we’ve heard of).
Wiggins would be well represented either way, it’s where he feels more comfortable. But this is where Jay-Z’s brand — and ability to brand — is a draw. Also know that players who are unhappy with their situation often will change to a more aggressive agent if they want to get something specific done, so who Wiggins chooses now and who he has when it is time for actual contract negotiations may well be different.
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. But he liked what LeBron did. 10
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 38
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 20
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 18
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 70