Apr 1, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
Being the agent for an NBA Draft first-round pick is really about marketing opportunities and working with the team to make sure the guy gets a shot — rookie contracts in the NBA are slotted, there are no serious negotiations until the second deal.
If it’s down to marketing and creating a brand, Jay-Z has a lot of sway.
Which is why he and his agency Roc Nation may land top pick potential No. 1 pick Andrew Wiggins, reports Chris Haynes at CSNNW.com.
According to league sources, Wiggins is in the process of choosing between Hip Hop mogul Jay-Z’s Roc Nation and one other unknown agency for player representation. Rich Paul, LeBron James’ agent, was rumored to be in the mix but we were informed Paul never recruited the forward.
Jared Zwerling of Bleacher Report filled in the other name.
Wiggins made it official he will enter the NBA draft on Monday. He is on the top of a lot of NBA draft board and isn’t really below No. 2 on any of them (that we’ve heard of).
Wiggins would be well represented either way, it’s where he feels more comfortable. But this is where Jay-Z’s brand — and ability to brand — is a draw. Also know that players who are unhappy with their situation often will change to a more aggressive agent if they want to get something specific done, so who Wiggins chooses now and who he has when it is time for actual contract negotiations may well be different.
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 4
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 4
- NBA: No Game 5 suspension for Dwight Howard, flagrant-1 for hit on Andrew Bogut stands as called 16
- Report: Kyle Korver to have surgery on his ankle 5
- PBT Podcast: We’re back (finally), talking Curry, Harden, and what should be a Flagrant Foul 0
- PBT Extra: Will Dwight Howard’s foul on Bogut be upgraded to a Flagrant 2? Should it? 12
- PBT Extra: Horford/Dellavedova incident ups tension in Hawks/Cavaliers Game 4 10
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 6