Apr 1, 2014, 3:50 PM EST
Being the agent for an NBA Draft first-round pick is really about marketing opportunities and working with the team to make sure the guy gets a shot — rookie contracts in the NBA are slotted, there are no serious negotiations until the second deal.
If it’s down to marketing and creating a brand, Jay-Z has a lot of sway.
Which is why he and his agency Roc Nation may land top pick potential No. 1 pick Andrew Wiggins, reports Chris Haynes at CSNNW.com.
According to league sources, Wiggins is in the process of choosing between Hip Hop mogul Jay-Z’s Roc Nation and one other unknown agency for player representation. Rich Paul, LeBron James’ agent, was rumored to be in the mix but we were informed Paul never recruited the forward.
Jared Zwerling of Bleacher Report filled in the other name.
Wiggins made it official he will enter the NBA draft on Monday. He is on the top of a lot of NBA draft board and isn’t really below No. 2 on any of them (that we’ve heard of).
Wiggins would be well represented either way, it’s where he feels more comfortable. But this is where Jay-Z’s brand — and ability to brand — is a draw. Also know that players who are unhappy with their situation often will change to a more aggressive agent if they want to get something specific done, so who Wiggins chooses now and who he has when it is time for actual contract negotiations may well be different.
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 7
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 7
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 11
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 20
- Lakers granted $4.85 million disabled-player exception for Steve Nash injury 13