Apr 1, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
Being the agent for an NBA Draft first-round pick is really about marketing opportunities and working with the team to make sure the guy gets a shot — rookie contracts in the NBA are slotted, there are no serious negotiations until the second deal.
If it’s down to marketing and creating a brand, Jay-Z has a lot of sway.
Which is why he and his agency Roc Nation may land top pick potential No. 1 pick Andrew Wiggins, reports Chris Haynes at CSNNW.com.
According to league sources, Wiggins is in the process of choosing between Hip Hop mogul Jay-Z’s Roc Nation and one other unknown agency for player representation. Rich Paul, LeBron James’ agent, was rumored to be in the mix but we were informed Paul never recruited the forward.
Jared Zwerling of Bleacher Report filled in the other name.
Wiggins made it official he will enter the NBA draft on Monday. He is on the top of a lot of NBA draft board and isn’t really below No. 2 on any of them (that we’ve heard of).
Wiggins would be well represented either way, it’s where he feels more comfortable. But this is where Jay-Z’s brand — and ability to brand — is a draw. Also know that players who are unhappy with their situation often will change to a more aggressive agent if they want to get something specific done, so who Wiggins chooses now and who he has when it is time for actual contract negotiations may well be different.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 23
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 32
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 5
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 1
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 10
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 7
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31