Apr 1, 2014, 2:58 PM EDT
Because a regular rotation is not part of Mike D’Antoni’s plans for the Lakers this season, he is going big against the Blazers Tuesday.
Pau Gasol will return to action after a battle with vertigo that left him dizzy and bedridden for days, according to multiple reports.
That Gasol is back and starting shouldn’t be a shock, while his defense had declined this year he remains the Lakers best big man by leaps and bounds. What is interesting is that D’Antoni has decided to go big against the Blazers, reports Dave McMenamin of ESPNLosAngeles.com.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $35,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Tuesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 8pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
There was a time when D’Antoni was unapologetic about going small and quick and just trying to run teams into the ground. Problem is he never really had a roster in Los Angeles where he could play his style, then you throw the over-the-top Lakers’ injury situation at the roster and he is stuck giving MarShon Brooks and Kent Bazemore big minutes.
We’ll see how Gasol responds to being back in the lineup. I have a feeling he will be playing for another team next season and looking a lot better doing it than he has in the D’Antoni system.
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 0
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 12
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10