Apr 1, 2014, 2:58 PM EDT
Because a regular rotation is not part of Mike D’Antoni’s plans for the Lakers this season, he is going big against the Blazers Tuesday.
Pau Gasol will return to action after a battle with vertigo that left him dizzy and bedridden for days, according to multiple reports.
That Gasol is back and starting shouldn’t be a shock, while his defense had declined this year he remains the Lakers best big man by leaps and bounds. What is interesting is that D’Antoni has decided to go big against the Blazers, reports Dave McMenamin of ESPNLosAngeles.com.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $35,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Tuesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 8pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
There was a time when D’Antoni was unapologetic about going small and quick and just trying to run teams into the ground. Problem is he never really had a roster in Los Angeles where he could play his style, then you throw the over-the-top Lakers’ injury situation at the roster and he is stuck giving MarShon Brooks and Kent Bazemore big minutes.
We’ll see how Gasol responds to being back in the lineup. I have a feeling he will be playing for another team next season and looking a lot better doing it than he has in the D’Antoni system.
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 19
- Report: Lakers, Pacers reach deal to trade Roy Hibbert to LA 55
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 43
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 48
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 58
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19