Apr 1, 2014, 2:58 PM EDT
Because a regular rotation is not part of Mike D’Antoni’s plans for the Lakers this season, he is going big against the Blazers Tuesday.
Pau Gasol will return to action after a battle with vertigo that left him dizzy and bedridden for days, according to multiple reports.
That Gasol is back and starting shouldn’t be a shock, while his defense had declined this year he remains the Lakers best big man by leaps and bounds. What is interesting is that D’Antoni has decided to go big against the Blazers, reports Dave McMenamin of ESPNLosAngeles.com.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $35,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Tuesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 8pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
There was a time when D’Antoni was unapologetic about going small and quick and just trying to run teams into the ground. Problem is he never really had a roster in Los Angeles where he could play his style, then you throw the over-the-top Lakers’ injury situation at the roster and he is stuck giving MarShon Brooks and Kent Bazemore big minutes.
We’ll see how Gasol responds to being back in the lineup. I have a feeling he will be playing for another team next season and looking a lot better doing it than he has in the D’Antoni system.
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 25
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 7
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 18