Mar 31, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
It’s quite the impressive career for a player who has been so reliant on athleticism. Marion certainly isn’t sticking around based on his shooting form.
But just how long does Marion plan to continue playing?
He won’t do what former Dallas Mavericks teammate Jason Kidd did and play until he’s 40.
“No way, no, no way,” Marion said while shaking his head furiously.
“When the season is over with I’m going to evaluate everything I’ve got going on and see what’s what,” said Marion, who turns 36 on May 7. “At the same time I would love to have another championship.”
Marion’s biggest impact comes defensively, though the Mavericks have allowed more points per possession with him on the court this season. He has remained effective by increasingly relying on his craftiness rather than his athleticism, though he’s still pretty springy for his age.
On the other end of the floor, Marion’s game has showed considerable age. Free-throw attempts per field-goal attempt are green, and 3-point attempts per field-goal attempt are blue:
Marion has slowed a step, preventing him from getting to the line as often. And unlike the mid 2000s, when he was shooting so many 3s due the Phoenix Suns’ long-bombing identity, Marion has fewer alternatives now. He’s become a spot-up shooter out of necessity.
I hope Marion plays as long as he wants, but at 35, he’s losing control of his ability to determine that. Age is undefeated, and it’s already beginning to take a toll on Marion. It’s only a matter of time until it mandates he retire if he hasn’t chosen to already.
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 0
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 3
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 6
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 15
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 7
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 30
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31