Mar 31, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
A torn meniscus can come in a variety of severities and with a variety of treatment and recovery times.
Houston’s Patrick Beverley lucked out and his meniscus injury turns out not to be too severe, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
After suffering a torn meniscus in his right knee, Houston Rockets guard Patrick Beverley will not undergo surgery and is expected to return this season, league sources told Yahoo Sports.
Beverley will be considered “week to week” on his return to the Rockets lineup, a source said on Monday afternoon. Beverly met with Dr. James Andrews on Monday.
Beverley himself said he thought he would be back soon — he has 18 days until the playoffs begin if he wants to make that goal.
The Rockets will need him in the playoffs. Houston outscores teams by 9 points per 100 possessions when Beverly is on the court, and put Beverley in with the other starting five in (James Harden, Chandler Parsons, Terrence Jones, Dwight Howard) and that group is 2.1 points per 100 possessions better on defense then when Jeremy Lin is with that group. Why that really matters is the Rockets likely face a jump shooting team in the first round (Portland or Golden State) with a strong point guard and they will need Beverley’s perimeter defense in that matchup.
The Rockets also will be without Dwight Howard for about 10 days as he rests an ankle that has been bothering him.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 11
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43