Mar 31, 2014, 8:07 PM EDT
Andrew Wiggins was the biggest name but not the only one to declare for the NBA Draft on Monday.
Missouri point guard Jordan Clarkson threw his hat in the ring as well, Jeff Goodman of ESPN reports.
Clarkson is a tall point guard (6’5”) who transferred from Tulsa to Missouri and averaged 17.5 points, 3.8 rebounds and 3.4 assists per game this season.
The ESPN report says he is a first rounder, however DraftExpress has him going in the middle of the second round. PBT’s draft expert Ed Isaacson tends to agree with the lower projection saying maybe a team would take an end of first round risk on him but more likely he is taken in the second round (which means no guaranteed contract).
He’s got skills and is a point guard who likes to attack and get to the rim. That’s a good thing. The problems are his shooting — lets be kind and call it “inconsistent” as he shot 28 percent from three — and his decision making as a point guard is not always good.
Clarkson is going to need to impress at the combine and in individual workouts to move up the board and get that first round pick.
Also on Monday Western Michigan senior Shayne Whittington signed with agents Ronald Shade and Herb Rudoy, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
Whittington is a 6’10” center who has drawn NBA scouts to watch him play this season — he led Western Michigan to the NCAA Tournament — but likely goes undrafted, unless in workouts he can impress a team enough to take a second round flyer on him.
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 1
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 16
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14