Mar 31, 2014, 11:14 AM EDT
So you’re saying there’s a chance.
If you’re a diehard Cavaliers fan you can believe there is still a chance your team makes the playoffs — Cleveland is 2.5 games back of an eighth-seed Hawks team in free fall, and the Knicks close out the season with seven straight games against +.500 teams.
Cleveland needs Kyrie Irving back in the lineup to have that chance — and they could get their wish on Wednesday. That’s when Irving hopes to return to the court from his bicep injury, reports the News-Herald.
Cavaliers guard Kyrie Irving’s strained left biceps was examined on March 30 by doctors…. A Cavs spokesman said there will be more tests done at a later date, perhaps on March 31. He said he’s not sure a conclusion would be reached on March 30….
Irving is hoping to return for the Orlando game on April 2.
The Cavaliers have gone 4-4 without Irving and that includes beating the Indiana Pacers on Sunday. In the East, .500 ball is good enough to vault you back into the playoff race. Irving averages 21.2 points per game (with a true shooting percentage of 53.2, pretty much right at the league average) and dishes out 6.2 assists a night. He’s the guy that makes their offense go.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $45,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Monday’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Monday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Those 2.5 games behind Atlanta are probably too much to make up, but if Irving wants to get back on the court this season you welcome him.
Then you offer him a max five-year extension to his rookie contract this summer and hope he doesn’t demand an opt out after three.
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 1
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 31
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40