Mar 31, 2014, 11:14 AM EST
So you’re saying there’s a chance.
If you’re a diehard Cavaliers fan you can believe there is still a chance your team makes the playoffs — Cleveland is 2.5 games back of an eighth-seed Hawks team in free fall, and the Knicks close out the season with seven straight games against +.500 teams.
Cleveland needs Kyrie Irving back in the lineup to have that chance — and they could get their wish on Wednesday. That’s when Irving hopes to return to the court from his bicep injury, reports the News-Herald.
Cavaliers guard Kyrie Irving’s strained left biceps was examined on March 30 by doctors…. A Cavs spokesman said there will be more tests done at a later date, perhaps on March 31. He said he’s not sure a conclusion would be reached on March 30….
Irving is hoping to return for the Orlando game on April 2.
The Cavaliers have gone 4-4 without Irving and that includes beating the Indiana Pacers on Sunday. In the East, .500 ball is good enough to vault you back into the playoff race. Irving averages 21.2 points per game (with a true shooting percentage of 53.2, pretty much right at the league average) and dishes out 6.2 assists a night. He’s the guy that makes their offense go.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $45,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Monday’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Monday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Those 2.5 games behind Atlanta are probably too much to make up, but if Irving wants to get back on the court this season you welcome him.
Then you offer him a max five-year extension to his rookie contract this summer and hope he doesn’t demand an opt out after three.
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 2
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 14
- Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48 13
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 6
- Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’ 15
- Kyrie Irving has strained left shoulder, out Friday vs. Pacers 0
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17