Mar 31, 2014, 1:22 PM EST
They’ve always said that and continue to say that. There’s no reason to suspect they believe otherwise.
But until Chicago’s season actually ends, some speculation will continue about whether Rose could return at some point in the playoffs. This certainly won’t end it.
Chicago Bulls point guard Derrick Rose still isn’t taking contact in practice as he recovers from a torn meniscus in his right knee, but that doesn’t mean he isn’t having an impact. As the regular season winds down, Bulls head coach Tom Thibodeau knows that while Rose won’t see any game action, he will help when he can.
“We’ll find a way to utilize him,” Thibodeau said. “Right now he’s working more with the second unit so that’s basically how we’re using him, but he’s done a great job with his leadership and he wants to help in any way that he can. So it’s all a plus, he’s coming along, he’s going to be fine, so we’re encouraged by his progress. But right now we’re concentrating on what we have to do the rest of the way.”
I’d be shocked if Rose plays this season, but he can still help Chicago in other ways.
Whether they’re playing the Raptors (Kyle Lowry), Nets (Deron Williams) or Wizards (John Wall), the Bulls will face a quality point guard in the first round. If Rose is practicing with the reserves – even without contact – he can possibly help Chicago’s starters prepare for the postseason. Nobody understands how to simulate a good point like a good point guard.
More significantly, Rose is clearly on track for returning, whether its with Team USA or otherwise.
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 2
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 38
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 10
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 6
- Report: Magic close to firing Jacque Vaughn 14
- Three Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The All-Star Rosters need to be expanded 28
- One day after having surgery, Kobe Bryant came to see Pau Gasol 7
- Report: Dwight Howard could miss “extended time” with knee injury 5