Mar 31, 2014, 1:22 PM EDT
They’ve always said that and continue to say that. There’s no reason to suspect they believe otherwise.
But until Chicago’s season actually ends, some speculation will continue about whether Rose could return at some point in the playoffs. This certainly won’t end it.
Chicago Bulls point guard Derrick Rose still isn’t taking contact in practice as he recovers from a torn meniscus in his right knee, but that doesn’t mean he isn’t having an impact. As the regular season winds down, Bulls head coach Tom Thibodeau knows that while Rose won’t see any game action, he will help when he can.
“We’ll find a way to utilize him,” Thibodeau said. “Right now he’s working more with the second unit so that’s basically how we’re using him, but he’s done a great job with his leadership and he wants to help in any way that he can. So it’s all a plus, he’s coming along, he’s going to be fine, so we’re encouraged by his progress. But right now we’re concentrating on what we have to do the rest of the way.”
I’d be shocked if Rose plays this season, but he can still help Chicago in other ways.
Whether they’re playing the Raptors (Kyle Lowry), Nets (Deron Williams) or Wizards (John Wall), the Bulls will face a quality point guard in the first round. If Rose is practicing with the reserves – even without contact – he can possibly help Chicago’s starters prepare for the postseason. Nobody understands how to simulate a good point like a good point guard.
More significantly, Rose is clearly on track for returning, whether its with Team USA or otherwise.
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 0
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 13
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 29
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 8
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 19
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 22
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2