Mar 31, 2014, 1:22 PM EDT
They’ve always said that and continue to say that. There’s no reason to suspect they believe otherwise.
But until Chicago’s season actually ends, some speculation will continue about whether Rose could return at some point in the playoffs. This certainly won’t end it.
Chicago Bulls point guard Derrick Rose still isn’t taking contact in practice as he recovers from a torn meniscus in his right knee, but that doesn’t mean he isn’t having an impact. As the regular season winds down, Bulls head coach Tom Thibodeau knows that while Rose won’t see any game action, he will help when he can.
“We’ll find a way to utilize him,” Thibodeau said. “Right now he’s working more with the second unit so that’s basically how we’re using him, but he’s done a great job with his leadership and he wants to help in any way that he can. So it’s all a plus, he’s coming along, he’s going to be fine, so we’re encouraged by his progress. But right now we’re concentrating on what we have to do the rest of the way.”
I’d be shocked if Rose plays this season, but he can still help Chicago in other ways.
Whether they’re playing the Raptors (Kyle Lowry), Nets (Deron Williams) or Wizards (John Wall), the Bulls will face a quality point guard in the first round. If Rose is practicing with the reserves – even without contact – he can possibly help Chicago’s starters prepare for the postseason. Nobody understands how to simulate a good point like a good point guard.
More significantly, Rose is clearly on track for returning, whether its with Team USA or otherwise.
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 7
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 5
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 28
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 24
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2