Mar 31, 2014, 4:09 PM EST
This day has been expected since the day he sent his letter of intent into Kansas, but it is now official.
Andrew Wiggins has declared for the 2014 NBA Draft.
But the potential No. 1 pick did say all the right things at his press conference, next to coach Bill Self.
“At the end of the day, I decided I was going to enter the draft,” Wiggins said in a streamed press conference. “It wasn’t an easy decision, because the fans showed me so much love.”
Wiggins is potentially the No. 1 pick — he is currently on top of DraftExpress’s mock draft and isn’t lower than No. 2 on any team’s draft board that we have heard of. The only guy who could knock him out of the top spot is fellow Jayhawk Joel Embiid, and it depends on what NBA doctors say when they get a closer look at Embiid’s back (and which team wins the NBA draft lottery).
Wiggins is the most hyped guy coming out of college since the Greg Oden/Kevin Durant draft. Wiggins is all about potential — he dominated at points at Kansas and showed stretches of his ridiculously high ceiling. He is incredibly athletic, can create his own shot, can rebound and defends well. Yes, he needs more polish and development — his shot needs to be more consistent (35 percent from three) and his handles need to improve — but he is seen as a good person with a good work ethic who could live up to those standards.
The only question with Wiggins is will he be consistently aggressive a the NBA level. He had a habit of letting others take charge early in the season then had a bad NCAA Tournament game not asserting himself, but because of the potential that is not going to scare teams off.
If he is selected No. 1, he will be the second consecutive Canadian taken No. 1 (Anthony Bennett was taken first overall by the Cavaliers last year).
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 4
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 5
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 5
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 39
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9