Mar 31, 2014, 4:09 PM EDT
This day has been expected since the day he sent his letter of intent into Kansas, but it is now official.
Andrew Wiggins has declared for the 2014 NBA Draft.
But the potential No. 1 pick did say all the right things at his press conference, next to coach Bill Self.
“At the end of the day, I decided I was going to enter the draft,” Wiggins said in a streamed press conference. “It wasn’t an easy decision, because the fans showed me so much love.”
Wiggins is potentially the No. 1 pick — he is currently on top of DraftExpress’s mock draft and isn’t lower than No. 2 on any team’s draft board that we have heard of. The only guy who could knock him out of the top spot is fellow Jayhawk Joel Embiid, and it depends on what NBA doctors say when they get a closer look at Embiid’s back (and which team wins the NBA draft lottery).
Wiggins is the most hyped guy coming out of college since the Greg Oden/Kevin Durant draft. Wiggins is all about potential — he dominated at points at Kansas and showed stretches of his ridiculously high ceiling. He is incredibly athletic, can create his own shot, can rebound and defends well. Yes, he needs more polish and development — his shot needs to be more consistent (35 percent from three) and his handles need to improve — but he is seen as a good person with a good work ethic who could live up to those standards.
The only question with Wiggins is will he be consistently aggressive a the NBA level. He had a habit of letting others take charge early in the season then had a bad NCAA Tournament game not asserting himself, but because of the potential that is not going to scare teams off.
If he is selected No. 1, he will be the second consecutive Canadian taken No. 1 (Anthony Bennett was taken first overall by the Cavaliers last year).
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 52
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 34
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 35
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18