Mar 30, 2014, 3:31 PM EDT
The Warriors need Andrew Bogut if they are going to get out of the first round. They outscore teams by 8 points per 100 possessions when he is on the court — he anchors their defense, which is a little better with him playing, but his presence in the paint also helps their offensive spacing (the Warriors offense is 4.8 points per 100 possession better with Bogut on the court).
Which is why the bruised pelvis he suffered Friday night, which led to an MRI on Saturday, had Warriors fans a little nervous.
The news could be worse, but it’s not ideal either, as Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports reports.
The initial expectation is that Bogut could be sidelined 4-to-7 days, but return is dependent on how he responds to treatment, sources say.—
Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) March 30, 2014
That means no Bogut Sunday against the Knicks. Golden State beat Memphis largely without Bogut and David Lee, a formula they need to continue for a while (Lee has a hamstring issue but should return in the coming days).
The Warriors are in the middle of a battle for playoff position. They are currently the sixth seed, one game back of five seed Portland (who was slumping but got LaMarcus Aldridge back) and 1.5 up on seven seed Phoenix. They could use Bogut to try and climb the ladder, but more importantly is not to have this linger, to have Bogut healthy for the playoffs come mid April.
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 2
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 16
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 7
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 17
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6