Mar 30, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Earlier this season that became a social media campaign. Ebony Nettles-Bey is a high school basketball player battling Stage 4 cancer. She lives in Wisconsin and her favorite player is LeBron James. She wanted to meet him. Twitter tried to help.
Saturday the Heat were in Milwaukee to take on the Bucks and social media had done something good — LeBron met Nettles-Bey. In fact she led the Heat onto the court and warmed up with them.
Here is the Instagram evidence.
LeBron also gave her a pair of signed shoes.
As a parent (who fortunately has not had to deal with anything like this) it’s a story that makes me warm inside. To see a young woman going through what she is going through get to have this moment is the kind of thing that really matters in life, way more than the game we attach too much to at times.
Good on LeBron and the Heat for making this happen.
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 7
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 21
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 41
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2