Mar 29, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Vince Carter has been a real value for Dallas this season — 12.1 points a game shooting 39.3 percent from three, playing more than 24 minutes a game and all for $3.2 million.
At age 37 he looks like a guy who has a couple more years of solid basketball in him.
He also will be a free agent this summer and will have options, contenders will come calling if he wants to chase a ring. However, he told the Dallas Morning News he wants to stay with the Mavericks and win with them.
“My fingers are crossed,” he said. “Next year might be even better. We can attract some more people, more talent. Now I know my role, and I know the system, it’s second nature to me now. I know the city very well. I’m stepping out, going to SMU games and getting out and about. I’m very comfortable here.
“I like the guys. I like the nucleus we have here. With my role and the way I play and the way I go about things, it really helps guys here. And they like that. Hopefully, that’s enough so that they can still have trust in me enough to play significant minutes and help the other guys out.”
It’ s hard to predict what the Mavericks will do this summer, Mark Cuban wants to go big game hunting for another star but it’s a slim market (unless Miami breaks up, which is highly unlikely at best).
Another year or two of Carter at a fair price would seem a good deal for both sides.
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 4
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 19
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 12
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 55
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 60
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 73
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 11