Vince Carter wants to re-sign with Mavericks, thinks he’s earned it (he has)

Mar 29, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT

Houston Rockets v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

Vince Carter has been a real value for Dallas this season — 12.1 points a game shooting 39.3 percent from three, playing more than 24 minutes a game and all for $3.2 million.

At age 37 he looks like a guy who has a couple more years of solid basketball in him.

He also will be a free agent this summer and will have options, contenders will come calling if he wants to chase a ring. However, he told the Dallas Morning News he wants to stay with the Mavericks and win with them.

“My fingers are crossed,” he said. “Next year might be even better. We can attract some more people, more talent. Now I know my role, and I know the system, it’s second nature to me now. I know the city very well. I’m stepping out, going to SMU games and getting out and about. I’m very comfortable here.

“I like the guys. I like the nucleus we have here. With my role and the way I play and the way I go about things, it really helps guys here. And they like that. Hopefully, that’s enough so that they can still have trust in me enough to play significant minutes and help the other guys out.”

It’ s hard to predict what the Mavericks will do this summer, Mark Cuban wants to go big game hunting for another star but it’s a slim market (unless Miami breaks up, which is highly unlikely at best).

Another year or two of Carter at a fair price would seem a good deal for both sides.

1. Jackofallsports - Mar 29, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Bring him back to Toronto. He is still a legend in Canada and the reason there are so many good players are coming out of the city (Wiggins, Ennis, Thompson, Bennett….well maybe the jury is out on that last one but you get my point). Basketball blew up north of the border thanks to Vince.

2. 13arod - Mar 29, 2014 at 8:05 PM

go to the heat carter

3. tomtravis76 - Mar 29, 2014 at 8:51 PM

Hope Vince can join a squad that will legitimately contend for a ring over the next two seasons. Vince was super exciting and meant alot to the NBA during his early years.

4. ggallin4evr - Mar 29, 2014 at 10:13 PM

Sign john battle.

5. straightouttavtown - Mar 30, 2014 at 12:34 AM

I hope someone gives him a starting job. I see a bunch of current starting players who are a lot worse than him.

6. turkbox420 - Mar 30, 2014 at 2:22 AM

VC!!!!

7. titansbro - Mar 30, 2014 at 8:27 AM

Always loved VC. Used to live in Daytona Beach. He’s a hero there.

8. nas726 - Mar 31, 2014 at 6:16 AM

VC to Houston.

What are impacts of NBA's new TV deal?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches