Mar 29, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
The Philadelphia 76ers are exceptional – and that makes the Milwaukee Bucks even more extraordinary.
Despite the 76ers’ record-tying 26-game losing streak, Milwaukee (14-58) still has a worse record than Philadelphia (15-57).
That drew my curiosity. How many of the NBA’s longest losing streaks have not produced the NBA’s worst record?
In NBA history, there have been seven losing streaks of at least 20 games within in a single season:
- 26, 2013-14 Philadelphia 76ers (15-57)
- 26, 2010-11 Cleveland Cavaliers (19-63)
- 23, 2011-12 Charlotte Bobcats (7-59)
- 23, 1997-98 Denver Nuggets (11-71)
- 23, 1995-96 Vancouver Grizzlies (15-67)
- 20, 1993-94 Dallas Mavericks (13-69)
- 20, 1972-73 Philadelphia 76ers (9-73)
All but two of those teams had the worst record that season – the two teams atop that list.
Even if the 76ers lose to the Pistons and the Bucks beat the Heat tonight, Milwaukee still wouldn’t pass Philadelphia in the standings. In 2010-11, the Timberwolves (17-65) out-stunk the Cavaliers, who also lost 26 straight.
The other five teams on the list all finished with the league’s worst record.
Is there something to this? I’d chalk it up to mostly coincidence. Lose this many games in a row, and you’re likely to have the league’s worst record. (This year’s 76ers could still get there.)
The 2010-11 Cavaliers just happened to exist in the same year David Kahn ran an NBA team. And the 2013-14 76ers just happened to have a hot start that pumped up their record – for now.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 42
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18