Mar 28, 2014, 8:01 PM EDT
Shane Battier has hinted that he’d consider retiring at the end of this season ever since last June, but he hasn’t been all that forceful with his comments until now.
Battier is in the final year of his contract with the Heat, and depending on how things shake out in the postseason, he could very possibly receive an offer to play somewhere next season. But it seems increasingly likely that he’ll choose to hang ‘em up once this current campaign is finished.
Yes. Shane Battier is retiring after season. No more equivocating. “It would take an act of God to change it & that act of God hasn’t come.”
— Ethan J. Skolnick (@EthanJSkolnick) March 28, 2014
Battier has lost several steps on defense this season, but more importantly in terms of what Miami does is that his three-point shooting has plummeted almost 10 percent.
If this season is indeed his last, it’s been an above average career for a player who’s been limited from a skill standpoint offensively. Battier is in his 13th year and has carved out an identity for himself on the defensive end of the floor, while becoming the poster boy for the advanced analytics movement with the way he impacted games without putting up traditional numbers during his time with the Rockets.
Miami hopes it can squeeze one more promising postseason out of Battier, however, before he calls it quits.
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 8
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 8
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 40
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 12
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 60
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 60
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 73