Mar 28, 2014, 9:17 PM EDT
Steve Kerr confirmed his interest in one day becoming an NBA head coach, after his name became attached to a position with the Knicks that doesn’t yet exist.
Mike Woodson is currently at the helm in New York as the team tries to make a late-season push for the playoffs, but few believe he’ll be back in that position next season.
Phil Jackson, in his new role as president of basketball operations, will want to fill the coaching ranks and the front office with his guys — people he trusts to execute his plans, and likely those he has worked with in some capacity in the past.
That makes Kerr a fine choice to patrol the sidelines in New York next season, and reportedly, he’d be the leading candidate to do so if in fact that is where his interest lies.
If indeed TNT analyst and former NBA guard Steve Kerr, who played for three of Jackson’s championship Bulls teams, wants to coach, he is the front-runner, a person familiar with the situation told USA TODAY Sports. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the situation.
But one other name to consider, if Kerr doesn’t end up as coach: Derek Fisher, who could end up with the Knicks either as a coach or front-office executive.
The Knicks need to install someone as head coach who will follow the front office plan, and be an extension of Jackson, both in terms of team culture and his long-term vision. Bringing in a first-time head coach like Kerr (on a long-term deal) would immediately help to accomplish that.
As for Fisher, he’d simply be another cog in the machine who has extensive experience winning titles with Jackson in Los Angeles, and thus would be an addition that also makes sense once his playing days are finished.
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 7
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 8
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 39
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 12
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 60
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 60
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 73