Mar 28, 2014, 9:17 PM EDT
Steve Kerr confirmed his interest in one day becoming an NBA head coach, after his name became attached to a position with the Knicks that doesn’t yet exist.
Mike Woodson is currently at the helm in New York as the team tries to make a late-season push for the playoffs, but few believe he’ll be back in that position next season.
Phil Jackson, in his new role as president of basketball operations, will want to fill the coaching ranks and the front office with his guys — people he trusts to execute his plans, and likely those he has worked with in some capacity in the past.
That makes Kerr a fine choice to patrol the sidelines in New York next season, and reportedly, he’d be the leading candidate to do so if in fact that is where his interest lies.
If indeed TNT analyst and former NBA guard Steve Kerr, who played for three of Jackson’s championship Bulls teams, wants to coach, he is the front-runner, a person familiar with the situation told USA TODAY Sports. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the situation.
But one other name to consider, if Kerr doesn’t end up as coach: Derek Fisher, who could end up with the Knicks either as a coach or front-office executive.
The Knicks need to install someone as head coach who will follow the front office plan, and be an extension of Jackson, both in terms of team culture and his long-term vision. Bringing in a first-time head coach like Kerr (on a long-term deal) would immediately help to accomplish that.
As for Fisher, he’d simply be another cog in the machine who has extensive experience winning titles with Jackson in Los Angeles, and thus would be an addition that also makes sense once his playing days are finished.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 31
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 3
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 8
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5