Fan grabs Hakeem Olajuwon signed ball, gives it to nearby child (VIDEO)

Mar 28, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT

Hakeem Olajuwon was in Houston Thursday night to watch the Sixers make history. I guess he likes to watch bad basketball. Anyway, he signed a ball which was thrown into the crowd for one lucky fan.

That fan turned out to be former Major League baseball player Tuffy Rhodes (hat tip Deadspin) who then turns around and gives the ball to a child near him.

Awesome move. Note to all the adults who will leap over kids to grab a foul ball at baseball stadiums nationwide this year, that is how you should handle it.

1. mcfleezy12 - Mar 28, 2014 at 6:09 PM

Man forget that kid, I need my rent paid!

• dannymac17 - Mar 28, 2014 at 9:27 PM

not sure why you getting downvoted. i need my rent paid too.

2. doorharp11 - Mar 28, 2014 at 7:02 PM

what a great man!

3. titansbro - Mar 28, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Adults should never keep the ball, ALWAYS give it a child… with a hot mom. Lol. No really, give it to the kid. You can get this thing called a job to help with the rent.

• jimeejohnson - Mar 29, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Or you can win the lottery.

4. jcmeyer10 - Mar 28, 2014 at 7:57 PM

I know it’s not much but I was at a Celtics game recently and saw a young man catch a t-shirt thrown into the crowd. Without hesitation he reaches behind his friends, taps the youngster on the shoulder and hands him the t-shirt. The young man turned to the game and pretended like it never happened.

For the rest of the game the kid would not put down that t-shirt. It meant the world to him. I’ve been waiting for a place to tell this story because it was just so simple and so nice. It’s the little things that make the biggest difference.

• jimeejohnson - Mar 29, 2014 at 3:31 PM

That is so awesome. Easy to think that all east coasters are arrogant where in reality they are not. Thanks.

5. sasquash20 - Mar 28, 2014 at 8:07 PM

At a phils game once I caught a foul ball and then gave it to a kid. A couple innings later my whole row won a prize pack. Karma I guess.

6. spyder9669 - Mar 28, 2014 at 10:10 PM

Tuffy Rhodes hit 4 home runs on opening day one year.

• fanofthegame79 - Mar 29, 2014 at 10:24 AM

And the legend of Tuffy Rhodes grows!

7. cbking05 - Mar 29, 2014 at 12:00 PM

There used to be a street calledTuffy Rhodes, but they changed it cuz nobody crosses Tuffy Rhodes and lives…

• jimeejohnson - Mar 29, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Hee-haw.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches