Mar 27, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Something is going wrong in Golden State. Well-functioning teams don’t demote assistant coaches at this point in the season.
What’s so strange about this Brian Scalabrine saga: The Warriors, by all other appearances, are having an excellent year.
Led by their stout defense, the 44-27 Warriors have their best winning percentage in 22 seasons. And they’ve done it in a historically strong Western Conference.
So, what happened with Scalabrine?
Following the Warriors 99-90 loss to the San Antonio Spurs last Saturday, assistant coaches Brian Scalabrine and Pete Myers engaged in a heated verbal altercation, likely leading to the reassignment of Scalabrine, according to sources.
Myers has a longer track record in coaching, having spent nine years as a Bulls assistant and even served twice as their interim coach. This is Scalabrine’s first season as a coach.
Perhaps more importantly, Myers has a longer track record with Jackson. They were Knicks teammates for parts of two seasons, 1988-89 and 1989-90. Scalabrine was the client of Warriors general manger Bob Myers, who previously worked as an agent.
It’s not difficult to see, if this report is true, where allegiances would fall.
But it’s important to remember with this report, as well as the initial one, everyone involved has an agenda. Because nobody is willing to attach their name to their claims, it’s difficult for us to evaluate the credibility of these sources.
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 0
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 3
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 6
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 15
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 7
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 30
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31