Mar 27, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Something is going wrong in Golden State. Well-functioning teams don’t demote assistant coaches at this point in the season.
What’s so strange about this Brian Scalabrine saga: The Warriors, by all other appearances, are having an excellent year.
Led by their stout defense, the 44-27 Warriors have their best winning percentage in 22 seasons. And they’ve done it in a historically strong Western Conference.
So, what happened with Scalabrine?
Following the Warriors 99-90 loss to the San Antonio Spurs last Saturday, assistant coaches Brian Scalabrine and Pete Myers engaged in a heated verbal altercation, likely leading to the reassignment of Scalabrine, according to sources.
Myers has a longer track record in coaching, having spent nine years as a Bulls assistant and even served twice as their interim coach. This is Scalabrine’s first season as a coach.
Perhaps more importantly, Myers has a longer track record with Jackson. They were Knicks teammates for parts of two seasons, 1988-89 and 1989-90. Scalabrine was the client of Warriors general manger Bob Myers, who previously worked as an agent.
It’s not difficult to see, if this report is true, where allegiances would fall.
But it’s important to remember with this report, as well as the initial one, everyone involved has an agenda. Because nobody is willing to attach their name to their claims, it’s difficult for us to evaluate the credibility of these sources.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 20
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47