Mar 27, 2014, 12:19 AM EDT
Lance Stephenson is who he is because he plays with emotion, with a chip on his shoulder.
But what he did against the Heat was stupid.
It started in the third quarter when Stephenson and Dwyane Wade picked up a double technical for a little shoving match (seen below). Frankly, the double tech on that was a cop-out by the refs — I would have let it go, if anyone deserved one it was Wade — but once the ruling comes down you have to know you have a “T” you have to rein it in a little.
Stephenson didn’t. With five minutes to go in a close game Stephenson made a nice move and scored, then as he ran back by Wade he got in his face and chirped. He said some words that caught the referee’s ear (or at least it was how he said nothing). Stephenson got another technical for it, that got him tossed. No, it wasn’t a good call, but that’s not the point for Stephenson.
It was his emotions getting the better of him — it doesn’t matter if you don’t like the call, once he got his first technical he could not get in Wade’s face like that. Stephenson is too key to this Pacers team in creating half-court offense to get ejected in important games like this (he had 15 points on the night).
David West said the same thing postgame, and said it to Stephenson.
The Pacers need Stephenson and he made a stupid mistake that could have hurt his team.
But it didn’t. The Pacers picked up an 84-83 win in one of the best games of the season. But the games are only going to get more intense, more emotional, and Stephenson has to keep his head about him.
- PBT Extra: Who wins Game 5 between Spurs, Clippers? Flip a coin. 1
- PBT Extra: Rockets must adjust to new Mavericks starting lineup in Game 5 7
- Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series 5
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 23
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 11
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 7
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 42