Mar 27, 2014, 12:19 AM EDT
Lance Stephenson is who he is because he plays with emotion, with a chip on his shoulder.
But what he did against the Heat was stupid.
It started in the third quarter when Stephenson and Dwyane Wade picked up a double technical for a little shoving match (seen below). Frankly, the double tech on that was a cop-out by the refs — I would have let it go, if anyone deserved one it was Wade — but once the ruling comes down you have to know you have a “T” you have to rein it in a little.
Stephenson didn’t. With five minutes to go in a close game Stephenson made a nice move and scored, then as he ran back by Wade he got in his face and chirped. He said some words that caught the referee’s ear (or at least it was how he said nothing). Stephenson got another technical for it, that got him tossed. No, it wasn’t a good call, but that’s not the point for Stephenson.
It was his emotions getting the better of him — it doesn’t matter if you don’t like the call, once he got his first technical he could not get in Wade’s face like that. Stephenson is too key to this Pacers team in creating half-court offense to get ejected in important games like this (he had 15 points on the night).
David West said the same thing postgame, and said it to Stephenson.
The Pacers need Stephenson and he made a stupid mistake that could have hurt his team.
But it didn’t. The Pacers picked up an 84-83 win in one of the best games of the season. But the games are only going to get more intense, more emotional, and Stephenson has to keep his head about him.
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 27
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 52
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 7
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 31
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 47
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 26
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 22