Mar 27, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
San Antonio Spurs guard Danny Green has made 28-of-48 3-pointers (58 percent) in his last nine games. In each of his last two games, he’s shot 5-for-9 from beyond the arc.
The problem? He missed a San Antonio game (Monday against Philadelphia) between those, and he left the second game (Wednesday against Denver) early due to injury.
Green, who was held out of the Spurs’ victory over Philadelphia on Monday, was fitted with a walking boot, and will have the injury examined via x-ray. He said he initially suffered the injury at Golden State last Saturday.
“I don’t even know when, I just know the next day it was very sore,” Green said. “Tonight it got cold and before the second half it just got too sore to run naturally on it.”
Said Popovich, “All of a sudden he couldn’t walk. The bottom of the foot, there is something. I am just guessing it’s plantar fasciitis or something like that.”
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $55,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Thursday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,000. Starts at 7:30pm ET on Thursday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
The Spurs are seemingly well-positioned to survive, if necessary, without Green. Manu Ginobili and Marco Belinelli can handle a few extra minutes at shooting guard, and San Antonio’s depth can fill in the frontcourt if Popovich uses fewer three-guard lineups.
Though the Spurs went just 5-5 when Green missed time earlier this season, those losses were to the Trail Blazers, Thunder, Heat, Rockets and Bulls – all quality teams. Plus, it seems San Antonio has hit the next level since.
The Spurs have won 15 straight, the longest winning streak by any team this season. If resting Green costs them the streak, it will be worth it if he returns at full strength for the playoffs.
But if it’s plantar fasciitis, Green might be bothered the rest of the season. Either way, the priority should be getting Green as healthy as possible for the postseason.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 12
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50