Mar 27, 2014, 11:17 AM EST
San Antonio Spurs guard Danny Green has made 28-of-48 3-pointers (58 percent) in his last nine games. In each of his last two games, he’s shot 5-for-9 from beyond the arc.
The problem? He missed a San Antonio game (Monday against Philadelphia) between those, and he left the second game (Wednesday against Denver) early due to injury.
Green, who was held out of the Spurs’ victory over Philadelphia on Monday, was fitted with a walking boot, and will have the injury examined via x-ray. He said he initially suffered the injury at Golden State last Saturday.
“I don’t even know when, I just know the next day it was very sore,” Green said. “Tonight it got cold and before the second half it just got too sore to run naturally on it.”
Said Popovich, “All of a sudden he couldn’t walk. The bottom of the foot, there is something. I am just guessing it’s plantar fasciitis or something like that.”
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $55,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Thursday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,000. Starts at 7:30pm ET on Thursday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
The Spurs are seemingly well-positioned to survive, if necessary, without Green. Manu Ginobili and Marco Belinelli can handle a few extra minutes at shooting guard, and San Antonio’s depth can fill in the frontcourt if Popovich uses fewer three-guard lineups.
Though the Spurs went just 5-5 when Green missed time earlier this season, those losses were to the Trail Blazers, Thunder, Heat, Rockets and Bulls – all quality teams. Plus, it seems San Antonio has hit the next level since.
The Spurs have won 15 straight, the longest winning streak by any team this season. If resting Green costs them the streak, it will be worth it if he returns at full strength for the playoffs.
But if it’s plantar fasciitis, Green might be bothered the rest of the season. Either way, the priority should be getting Green as healthy as possible for the postseason.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 0
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 6
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 30
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20