Admittedly ‘immature’ Jarrett Jack inspired by heckling Pistons fan

Mar 27, 2014, 9:45 AM EST

Jarrett Jack, Andre Iguodala, Harrison Barnes AP

Jarrett Jack was 3-for-9 with more turnovers (two) than assists (one) and his Cleveland Cavaliers trailed the Detroit Pistons by a dozen when he re-entered last night’s game midway through the fourth quarter.

On his first possession, he launched a 3-pointer and held held his follow-through as the ball swished through the net.

That was just the start. Jack shot 4-for-6, including 2-of-3 on 3-pointers, in the fourth quarter.

What got him on track?

Jason Lloyd of Ohio.com:

When Jack entered the game in the fourth quarter, a Pistons fan began shouting how Jack is a terrible shooter and has always been a terrible shooter. Jack looked up and engaged him (the Pistons were shooting free throws), telling him he needed a seat closer to the floor.

On the Cavs’ next possession, Deng found Jack at the 3-point line and he made the 3, then immediately turned and looked at the fan.

“He got me going,” Jack said of the fan. “I told some of their guys it’s the old dude’s fault I caught fire a little bit. He got my attention and woke me up. Whoever he is, I definitely want to say thanks.”

“I’m very immature so I respond all the time,” he joked. “It’s always fun. I always interact with the fans but I try not to let it take away from my focus.”

Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $55,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Thursday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,000. Starts at 7:30pm ET on Thursday. Here’s the FanDuel link.

Of course, if it weren’t for Dion Waiters making a game-winning jumper, Jack’s contributions would have been for naught.

Then again, if it weren’t for Jack helping to cut the deficit, maybe Waiters never would have had that opportunity.

And if it weren’t for that fan, maybe Jack wouldn’t have cut the deficit.

The lesson: Cleveland fans should start heckling Jack. It makes him way more fun and productive.

1. thenew013 - Mar 27, 2014 at 9:51 AM

To admit your immature actually shows your maturity. Kind of like admitting to a lie shows your honesty. GO CAVS!!!

2. mrtreyseven - Mar 27, 2014 at 10:14 AM

im a firm believer in dishing out a fan a dose of their own medicine. They act as if the players arent human and they should act professional, not knowing that fan heckling them might be a doctor, lawyer, teacher etc. they are professionals as well yet they conduct themselves they way they feel, why cant players…..

You poke a 6’7 230+ pound animal what do you think will happen lol. Dont be surprise with the result. especially if you are a smaller individual

• jcmeyer10 - Mar 27, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Yah, I have a few games about 15 rows up from the Celtics bench every season and we sat next to some loons who were yelling that Sully, ‘could take them’. Funny thing is, they were wearing Celtics gear, but there to see Stephen Curry, who was their favorite player but was wondering who their other favorite player, Avery Bradley was. He was out with an ankle injury, and they were loud and obnoxious about it.

Turns out they were better than the drunk kids that got kicked out. Ugh, I hate to stand on a soapbox but yelling the F word all the time when a kid is a row down is just disrespectful.

• tontoepstein - Mar 27, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Jarrett Jack is 6’7″ tall and weighs 230 pounds on what planet, Neptune?

• nickjackalson - Mar 27, 2014 at 12:50 PM

but that comparison of yours, mr37, sounds a little too supportive of things like “the malice” – I see your point, but if I would want to fight, I´d go for boxing in a gym instead of randomly pissing people off..
      When players retaliate like Jack, or Reggie to Spike, I´m all in..it´s just that they can´t conduct themselves they way they feel, or a lot of friggin players would probably bring their guns to the games themselves, no?
      Metta is the prime example why it wouldn´t do and shall not be

3. tv63 - Mar 28, 2014 at 3:11 AM

Please be more immature Jack if it makes you play like that!! LoL

4. jazynaz - Mar 28, 2014 at 3:03 PM

jarrett jack was a great teammate and fan favorite last year with the Warriors. as a fan, i have missed his energy and contagious smile/attitude that became a huge part of his game and the teams. he was having fun, contributed on a high level and the team won games/benefitted by his enthusiastic presence. i would guess that this year has been a disappointment for him, and obviously for the cavaliers. too bad for them that jack and his teammates aren’t having more fun to satisfy his “immaturity” and fun-loving exuberance…it’s got to be something about their OWNERSHIP/FO/coaching considering their annually high draft picks and FA acquisitions,

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches