Mar 27, 2014, 9:45 AM EST
Jarrett Jack was 3-for-9 with more turnovers (two) than assists (one) and his Cleveland Cavaliers trailed the Detroit Pistons by a dozen when he re-entered last night’s game midway through the fourth quarter.
On his first possession, he launched a 3-pointer and held held his follow-through as the ball swished through the net.
That was just the start. Jack shot 4-for-6, including 2-of-3 on 3-pointers, in the fourth quarter.
What got him on track?
When Jack entered the game in the fourth quarter, a Pistons fan began shouting how Jack is a terrible shooter and has always been a terrible shooter. Jack looked up and engaged him (the Pistons were shooting free throws), telling him he needed a seat closer to the floor.
On the Cavs’ next possession, Deng found Jack at the 3-point line and he made the 3, then immediately turned and looked at the fan.
“He got me going,” Jack said of the fan. “I told some of their guys it’s the old dude’s fault I caught fire a little bit. He got my attention and woke me up. Whoever he is, I definitely want to say thanks.”
“I’m very immature so I respond all the time,” he joked. “It’s always fun. I always interact with the fans but I try not to let it take away from my focus.”
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $55,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Thursday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,000. Starts at 7:30pm ET on Thursday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Then again, if it weren’t for Jack helping to cut the deficit, maybe Waiters never would have had that opportunity.
And if it weren’t for that fan, maybe Jack wouldn’t have cut the deficit.
The lesson: Cleveland fans should start heckling Jack. It makes him way more fun and productive.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 0
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 3
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1