Mar 27, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
Jarrett Jack was 3-for-9 with more turnovers (two) than assists (one) and his Cleveland Cavaliers trailed the Detroit Pistons by a dozen when he re-entered last night’s game midway through the fourth quarter.
On his first possession, he launched a 3-pointer and held held his follow-through as the ball swished through the net.
That was just the start. Jack shot 4-for-6, including 2-of-3 on 3-pointers, in the fourth quarter.
What got him on track?
When Jack entered the game in the fourth quarter, a Pistons fan began shouting how Jack is a terrible shooter and has always been a terrible shooter. Jack looked up and engaged him (the Pistons were shooting free throws), telling him he needed a seat closer to the floor.
On the Cavs’ next possession, Deng found Jack at the 3-point line and he made the 3, then immediately turned and looked at the fan.
“He got me going,” Jack said of the fan. “I told some of their guys it’s the old dude’s fault I caught fire a little bit. He got my attention and woke me up. Whoever he is, I definitely want to say thanks.”
“I’m very immature so I respond all the time,” he joked. “It’s always fun. I always interact with the fans but I try not to let it take away from my focus.”
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $55,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Thursday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,000. Starts at 7:30pm ET on Thursday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Then again, if it weren’t for Jack helping to cut the deficit, maybe Waiters never would have had that opportunity.
And if it weren’t for that fan, maybe Jack wouldn’t have cut the deficit.
The lesson: Cleveland fans should start heckling Jack. It makes him way more fun and productive.
- Hawks cruise to underwhelming Game 1 win over Nets 3
- Kyrie Irving aces, Kevin Love passes first playoff test in Cavaliers win over Celtics 15
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 10
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 19
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 7
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 6
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 3
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10