Mar 26, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Rajon Rondo is being held out of back-to-back contests by the Celtics this season, in order to be extra-cautious with the team’s franchise player who’s coming off of serious surgery, and playing in what is nothing more than a rebuilding year for the organization.
That little wrinkle allows Rondo to be available for things he wouldn’t otherwise be scheduled for during a normal NBA season — like sitting in as an analyst on the team’s television broadcast.
Rondo will serve as a guest analyst during the Celtics’ matchup with the Bulls on Monday, March 31.
He’ll join play-by-play voice Mike Gorman for the first quarter of CSNNE’s broadcast, with Cedric Maxwell substituting in for the final three quarters. …
The Celtics have used several color analysts during road games this season, including Maxwell, Jackie MacMullan, P.J. Carlesimo, Dave Cowens, and Bill Simmons. Tommy Heinsohn is the color analyst for home games but provides studio commentary when the Celtics are away.
It’s great for fans, obviously, to have the team’s best player analyzing what’s happening on the floor in real time. The question, though, is what version of Rondo will we get on the air?
Rondo has no trouble being straight forward in interviews, but often comes across as having an icy personality that could potentially alienate fans that aren’t as familiar with his style.
It’s awesome that the team has put this in motion, but we’ll have to wait and see just how Rondo is able to translate his basketball IQ to the uninitiated masses.
- Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series 0
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 10
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 9
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 6
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 38
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 6
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 15