Mar 26, 2014, 7:15 PM EST
Rajon Rondo is being held out of back-to-back contests by the Celtics this season, in order to be extra-cautious with the team’s franchise player who’s coming off of serious surgery, and playing in what is nothing more than a rebuilding year for the organization.
That little wrinkle allows Rondo to be available for things he wouldn’t otherwise be scheduled for during a normal NBA season — like sitting in as an analyst on the team’s television broadcast.
Rondo will serve as a guest analyst during the Celtics’ matchup with the Bulls on Monday, March 31.
He’ll join play-by-play voice Mike Gorman for the first quarter of CSNNE’s broadcast, with Cedric Maxwell substituting in for the final three quarters. …
The Celtics have used several color analysts during road games this season, including Maxwell, Jackie MacMullan, P.J. Carlesimo, Dave Cowens, and Bill Simmons. Tommy Heinsohn is the color analyst for home games but provides studio commentary when the Celtics are away.
It’s great for fans, obviously, to have the team’s best player analyzing what’s happening on the floor in real time. The question, though, is what version of Rondo will we get on the air?
Rondo has no trouble being straight forward in interviews, but often comes across as having an icy personality that could potentially alienate fans that aren’t as familiar with his style.
It’s awesome that the team has put this in motion, but we’ll have to wait and see just how Rondo is able to translate his basketball IQ to the uninitiated masses.
- Reports: Kings at Knicks, Trail Blazers at Nets games Monday postponed due to coming storm 0
- Did win over Lakers break Rockets out of their defensive slump? 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 15
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 9
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 33
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10