PBT Extra: Previewing Heat vs. Pacers Wednesday showdown

Mar 26, 2014, 3:55 PM EDT

The first thing to know: This Wednesday night showdown between the Miami Heat and Indiana Pacers is not going to be a great preview of the Eastern Conference Finals. Yes, I still think they meet in the ECF (the odds of it in my mind have gone from 99.9% down to 90%, but I still think this is going to happen). By the time that late May series gets underway these will be two different teams than they are now. A couple months and a couple playoff rounds change teams.

That doesn’t mean this game doesn’t matter — both teams could use the confidence boost after stumbling into this one. More importantly, if the Heat win they are tied with the Pacers in the loss column. Getting the No. 1 seed in the East, and having that ECF Game 7 at home, will be in play.

That’s why for today’s PBT Extra Kay Adams and I preview the game and talk about Dwyane Wade being ready to play, Roy Hibbert vs. Greg Oden, and I give a lukewarm prediction.

1. antistratfordian - Mar 26, 2014 at 4:29 PM

“NOW THIS IS GOING TO BE FUN

• kb2408 - Mar 26, 2014 at 7:15 PM

Fun but meaningless in the long run.

2. bougin89 - Mar 26, 2014 at 4:37 PM

The great slumping showdown of 2014

3. andreboy1 - Mar 26, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Did anyone see Bosh getting all flustered when asked about the Heat getting Oden to match up with Hibbert?

Hibbert increased his numbers dramatically against the Heat and Bosh tried to act like it was nothing.

Chris Bosh- 0 points in game 7.

• kinggw - Mar 26, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Sure didn’t. If your going to rag on Bosh at least get it right. He didnt have a great game 7 against the Pacers, but he did register 9 points, 8 rebounds and 3 blocks. You are thinking about the Spurs.

Bosh didnt score against the Spurs in Game 7, but his heroics in Game 6 made Game 7 possible.

People keep trying to discount how good of a player Bosh is and how important he is to the Heat. You’d think they stop doubting him by now.

• bucrightoff - Mar 26, 2014 at 6:18 PM

It’s mostly cause Chris Bosh might be the softest power forward in the league. Imagine swapping him for Al Jefferson? The Heat might actually be unbeatable. But with Bosh averaging less than 7 rebounds and jacking up more three’s than ever (more than four times as many as his career average), he really isn’t that valuable. You can find a lot of guys who can do that with Wade and LeBron as the big dogs.

4. timb12 - Mar 26, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Does anyone else this game is going to be underwhelming? I hope it’s not, I just have a bad feeling it’s going to be.

5. jbeagles23 - Mar 26, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Hibbert is big and over powers the heat but useless against anyone his size

• bougin89 - Mar 26, 2014 at 5:31 PM

You’re right to a degree but you’re missing the big picture. What Hibbert does best is be the anchor of a great defense. He allows the Pacers perimeter defenders to pressure the ball without feeling scared to be beat because if they do get beat, he’s there.

6. dablakdrphil - Mar 26, 2014 at 5:13 PM

When I see these two power house teams go at it I can only think of one saying

“There will be blood”

7. moseskkim - Mar 26, 2014 at 5:53 PM

hibbert better start figuring it out. dudes 9.4 ppg and 4.8 rpg 1.2 bpg shooting 42% his last five. they desperately need his offense and more inspired play. george has been struggling as well. i think miami will figure it out. indiana has not proven itself yet with only one solid run through the playoffs so far

8. money2long - Mar 26, 2014 at 6:11 PM

i hope lebron puts on a show

9. ranfan12 - Mar 26, 2014 at 7:03 PM

sleeves vs legs lol

10. kb2408 - Mar 26, 2014 at 7:14 PM

This will be fun but in the end it means little…the next NBA Champs will be Spurs or the Thunder. If Miami gets to the finals they better hope it’s against OKC, they match up much better with them than with the Spurs.

11. billtetley53 - Mar 26, 2014 at 8:51 PM

Why do you continue to make predictions? KB, you’re like 0 for your last 23.

You are a know nothing.

How do you continue to make a fool out of yourself and continue to post?
    You’d think you’d have some self awareness and know everyone just points and laughs at you.

• kb2408 - Mar 26, 2014 at 9:00 PM

So, let me get this straight, I’m supposed to care what a bunch of strangers think about on an online sports blog? Dude, you’re sadder than I initially thought you were.

• gofinsgoheatfloria - Mar 27, 2014 at 8:32 AM

No, you’re not “supposed” to care, but you do, or this blog wouldn’t be the core life activity for you that it clearly is.

• kb2408 - Mar 26, 2014 at 9:03 PM

And speaking of someone making a fool of himself, how many wagers have you lost on this site, kobeluver?! Didn’t think I remembered that, huh? Numbskull.

12. money2long - Mar 26, 2014 at 10:35 PM

I came on here to comment on the lance Stephenson ejection and how upset I am at how it shifts the game. I come on this website and always see ppl call wade a whiner and never do I say that he is. But for him to get the ref’s attention on lance saying “what” to him after lance made a tough layup just so he could get t’d up irks me. So much. U got what u wanted wade. A critical player on the other team thrown out due to you complaining about it. Unbelievable. How is what lance did warrant an ejection ? I’m more mad at the refs. But wade. Let it go. Don’t act like he said your girl tastes like honey nut Cheerios.

• kinggw - Mar 26, 2014 at 11:20 PM

It’s called taunting and it gets you a tech. If Lance didn’t go fake tough guy and start the process that got him and Wade double techs, it would’ve never happened.

The Pacers won, but I doubt you’ll complain about the flagrant on LeBron that Hibbert literally jumped into or West’s hip check that caused a turnover late. It was a good game but the zebras gave the benefit of the doubt to the home team.

13. billtetley53 - Mar 27, 2014 at 8:24 AM

KB, it doesn’t matter to me if you don’t care if you’re a laughingstock on this site.

I would think you’d care though. The internet HAS to be your last hope of being accepted. I’m sure your real life is one disappointment after another to you and your family.

I lost a bet to malt, one bet, and honored it.
    Too bad you can’t say the same about the bet you lost to me, right lakerluver?

Now you’ll come back with either “what bet”? or “someone was impersonating me”. Or both.

You are a dumb, predictable, know nothing.

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches