Mar 26, 2014, 3:55 PM EDT
The first thing to know: This Wednesday night showdown between the Miami Heat and Indiana Pacers is not going to be a great preview of the Eastern Conference Finals. Yes, I still think they meet in the ECF (the odds of it in my mind have gone from 99.9% down to 90%, but I still think this is going to happen). By the time that late May series gets underway these will be two different teams than they are now. A couple months and a couple playoff rounds change teams.
That doesn’t mean this game doesn’t matter — both teams could use the confidence boost after stumbling into this one. More importantly, if the Heat win they are tied with the Pacers in the loss column. Getting the No. 1 seed in the East, and having that ECF Game 7 at home, will be in play.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 20
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 38
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85