Mar 25, 2014, 4:57 PM EDT
Tom Izzo has a team in the Sweet 16 that’s trying to win a championship.
The Pistons have a coach who’s trying to finish out the season strong.
If the Pistons are going to pursue Izzo, it will happen this offseason – or at least after Michigan State’s season ends. There’s no reason for it to get done now.
And that’s why both sides – especially Izzo, who doesn’t want to distract his players at this critical juncture – will issue at least partial denials of interest.
Izzo, via ESPN:
“There’s been so many rumors over the years,” the Michigan State coach said on ESPN’s “SportsCenter” on Tuesday. “I look at people I used to recruit against years ago [that] said that I’d be gone, but I’m still here and some of those schools have had three different coaches.
“I’ve always said I’d never say never to anything because you never know what it brings. But I got so much more work to do here. I have a great president, a great AD and a football coach that I really get along [with]. So this is a pretty good place for me right now. We’re in a pretty good spot. Program’s in pretty good shape.
“Ain’t broke, so why fix it?”
This is the stance – never say never, but happy at MSU – Izzo has always taken, and I find it both sincere and logical. Michigan State has and continues to treat him very well – even if he enjoys complaining about small issues, because he likes to complain – but the NBA is still a step up for any competitor, which Izzo certainly is.
As long as he takes this “never say never” approach and and as long as the Pistons don’t have a permanent head coach, the door remains open.
Right now, Izzo doesn’t have any interest in walking through it. In April, though, that could be a different story.
- PBT Extra matchups to watch: Can Memphis keep Damian Lillard in check? 0
- Report: Suns’ Morris twins charged with aggravated assault 4
- Hawks’ Mike Budenholzer named 2014-15 NBA Coach of the Year 9
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 12
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 6
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 14
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 6
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 40