Mar 25, 2014, 4:57 PM EST
Tom Izzo has a team in the Sweet 16 that’s trying to win a championship.
The Pistons have a coach who’s trying to finish out the season strong.
If the Pistons are going to pursue Izzo, it will happen this offseason – or at least after Michigan State’s season ends. There’s no reason for it to get done now.
And that’s why both sides – especially Izzo, who doesn’t want to distract his players at this critical juncture – will issue at least partial denials of interest.
Izzo, via ESPN:
“There’s been so many rumors over the years,” the Michigan State coach said on ESPN’s “SportsCenter” on Tuesday. “I look at people I used to recruit against years ago [that] said that I’d be gone, but I’m still here and some of those schools have had three different coaches.
“I’ve always said I’d never say never to anything because you never know what it brings. But I got so much more work to do here. I have a great president, a great AD and a football coach that I really get along [with]. So this is a pretty good place for me right now. We’re in a pretty good spot. Program’s in pretty good shape.
“Ain’t broke, so why fix it?”
This is the stance – never say never, but happy at MSU – Izzo has always taken, and I find it both sincere and logical. Michigan State has and continues to treat him very well – even if he enjoys complaining about small issues, because he likes to complain – but the NBA is still a step up for any competitor, which Izzo certainly is.
As long as he takes this “never say never” approach and and as long as the Pistons don’t have a permanent head coach, the door remains open.
Right now, Izzo doesn’t have any interest in walking through it. In April, though, that could be a different story.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 3
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 9
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18