Spurs’ Ayres, Duncan report hearing baby crying in empty room at reportedly haunted Bay Area hotel

Mar 25, 2014, 12:53 PM EDT

Claremont Hotel Berkley

The most famous of the reportedly haunted hotels that regularly cater to NBA teams is the Skirvin Hilton in Oklahoma City (Eddy Curry once reported an incident there, but that might have just been his stomach rumbling).

However, there is one in the Bay Area, too — the Claremont Resort in Berkley (pictured to the right). Among the spirits reportedly seen there is a six-year-old girl who allegedly died at the hotel.

The Spurs stayed at the Claremont recently when playing the Warriors and Jeff Ayres has a story to tell, via the San Antonio Express-News (hat tip to Hoopshype).

“You get in at whatever time. I took my room key. I could hear stuff in the hallway, like people in their rooms. So I’m thinking people are watching TV or whatever. So I get to my door, and my key doesn’t work, but it sounds like there’s somebody in my room. Like I hear a little baby, not crying but making noise. I’m like, ‘What the heck?’ I keep trying my key and it doesn’t work. So I go downstairs to get a new key, and I tell them (somebody’s in the room).

“So they call the room, and nobody answers. They’re like, ‘We can get you a new key and send you up with security and make sure nobody’s there, because there shouldn’t be anybody in there.’ Then they’re like, ‘We’ll just get you a new room.’ It was the creepiest thing. I heard a couple of other guys heard babies in the hallway, kids running down the hallway. Creepy. I really heard voices and a baby in the room, and there wasn’t anybody in there. It was crazy.”

The Big Fundamental Tim Duncan backs up his story.

“I heard a baby in his room. There was somebody or something in his room, yeah. I definitely heard something. It wasn’t creepy, because I assumed it was really somebody in the room, and they gave him the wrong room. But when they told me the story the next day about calling up there and no one in the room, it’s at that point you get chills. I totally agreed with him. There was a baby there, absolutely. I heard about the history of the place, and I’d rather not (stay there again).”

When the Spurs now 14-game win streak ends, I’m blaming the ghost of the 6 year old.

1. cbking05 - Mar 25, 2014 at 1:10 PM

It was just one of Dwight Howard’s babies … no need to worry

• romestar82 - Mar 25, 2014 at 1:17 PM

it was just Howard alone

• pharohislife - Mar 25, 2014 at 1:17 PM

Booooooo

• spthegr8 - Mar 25, 2014 at 1:37 PM

@Cb
      Lmao…..That was funny. He does have a small village of kids. I wonder who has more, Dwight or Evander Holyfield.?? IDK but, between the two of them, they could start a Pop Warner football team!!

2. cantonbound13 - Mar 25, 2014 at 1:21 PM

Where was Dwhine Wade?

• pharohislife - Mar 25, 2014 at 1:54 PM

*Crickets

• casualcommenter - Mar 25, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Seriously. I don’t he realizes how unhealthy his mental fixation on the Heat is.

There’s absolutely nothing in this article about the Heat, and he complains about how the Heat get too much coverage on this site, but he simply can’t stop commenting on them. He clicks on both Heat articles and non-Heat articles alike and comments on the Heat. It’s weird.

• casualcommenter - Mar 25, 2014 at 1:58 PM

…I’d recommend getting some hobbies outside of watching NBA basketball.

Try dating a woman, or playing basketball with some friends, or reading a book, etc.

You might not realize it, but you have a very unhealthy fascination with the Heat. There was nothing in the article about the Heat, and you claim to hate how the Heat are overexposed, yet you can’t stop commenting about them.

• fanofthegame79 - Mar 25, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Well said casual commenter!

• casualcommenter - Mar 25, 2014 at 2:04 PM

I’m not a Heat fan, and I understand complaints by fans like him about how much coverage they get every time LeBron dunks a basketball.

However, cantonbound is almost always the first person on a non-Heat article to mention the Heat. Then, he complains Heat fans are trolls when Heat fans respond to his Heat comments. Then, he complains that people talk about the Heat too much, forgetting that he’s the one who brings them up.

It’s a borderline case of mental illness at this point.

• 1heatedtoombrayduh - Mar 25, 2014 at 2:41 PM

you get a booo but it aint from a ghost lol!

3. romestar82 - Mar 25, 2014 at 1:23 PM

for those who care to read about this hauted resort ,I wonder if it was the 4th floor where they stayed in ,this story claims to be hauted in the 4rth floor

4. pharohislife - Mar 25, 2014 at 1:24 PM

I love ghost stories, but I don’t know what I’d do if i ever experienced one. I’m envious of people who have, but then again, i’m not.

5. pacers24 - Mar 25, 2014 at 1:56 PM

ive seen ghosts before when i was in college

i was doing acid among many other things at that time then

so take it for what its worth lol

i def believe in ghosts tho!!

6. casualcommenter - Mar 25, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Duncan said, “It wasn’t creepy, because I assumed it was really somebody in the room, and they gave him the wrong room.”

That’s probably the most likely explanation, and the people in the wrong room decided to ignore the phone.

So leave it to Tim Duncan to provide the most boring but fundamentally sound explanation to a spooky story, ha!

7. pharohislife - Mar 25, 2014 at 2:28 PM

I never understood the people who don’t believe in ghosts, there’s so much evidence and so many cases how can you not. It’s actually so common at this point that can it even be called a “Strange phenomenon anymore haha

• ProBasketballPundit - Mar 25, 2014 at 6:01 PM

Is that sarcasm?

• pharohislife - Mar 25, 2014 at 9:22 PM

No it is not.

• ProBasketballPundit - Mar 25, 2014 at 11:03 PM

Well then I guess there’s nothing I can say… except you & I define ‘evidence’ pretty differently.

8. 1heatedtoombrayduh - Mar 25, 2014 at 2:43 PM

I live near charleston Sc, stories like these are very common..what with it being one of the earliest setlements and then the native americans before that.im PRETTY sure there are ghosts among other things around here lol

9. miamatt - Mar 25, 2014 at 5:17 PM

And he would have gotten away with it, too, if it weren’t for those snooping kids!

10. jzone954 - Mar 25, 2014 at 5:21 PM

LOL. You can tell it really does matter
    And hurt Mr Bound when the Heat win, let alone win it all. I don’t understand why, but all seriousness bro you have problems. “Try dating a woman” lol

11. retxedfred - Mar 25, 2014 at 7:38 PM

Maybe it’s just the ghosts of last year’s finals coming back to haunt the Spurs.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches