Mar 25, 2014, 9:46 PM EDT
Phil Jackson hasn’t spent much time with the Knicks since the press conference announcing his hiring as president of basketball operations took place in New York last week.
But the opportunity presented itself on Tuesday, and Jackson took advantage by having a brief discussion with the team’s best player.
The Knicks were in town to face the Lakers, and Jackson attended the team’s shootaround. While nothing was said publicly, it appeared clear that he and Carmelo Anthony had a discussion behind closed doors.
Phil Jackson stepped onto the court for the first time as Knicks president during Tuesday’s morning shootaround at Staples Center and apparently met with Carmelo Anthony in the locker room beforehand.
Jackson and Anthony were the two notable figures who remained in the locker room while the rest of the Knicks and coaching staff took the court. …
As Anthony stepped out of the locker room, he didn’t divulge Jackson was inside and gave no indication he had a meaningful chat with Jackson.
“I’ve seen him here and there,’’ Anthony said coyly. “Not where we sit down and talk. I’m sure we’ll get together very soon.’’
Anthony had said previously while the negotiations with Jackson were going on that he had never spoken with him. That appears to have now changed with Jackson officially in the fold, but the work that needs to be done to turn the franchise around won’t begin to take place until the current season is finished.
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 13
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 36
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 26
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2