Mar 25, 2014, 9:46 PM EDT
Phil Jackson hasn’t spent much time with the Knicks since the press conference announcing his hiring as president of basketball operations took place in New York last week.
But the opportunity presented itself on Tuesday, and Jackson took advantage by having a brief discussion with the team’s best player.
The Knicks were in town to face the Lakers, and Jackson attended the team’s shootaround. While nothing was said publicly, it appeared clear that he and Carmelo Anthony had a discussion behind closed doors.
Phil Jackson stepped onto the court for the first time as Knicks president during Tuesday’s morning shootaround at Staples Center and apparently met with Carmelo Anthony in the locker room beforehand.
Jackson and Anthony were the two notable figures who remained in the locker room while the rest of the Knicks and coaching staff took the court. …
As Anthony stepped out of the locker room, he didn’t divulge Jackson was inside and gave no indication he had a meaningful chat with Jackson.
“I’ve seen him here and there,’’ Anthony said coyly. “Not where we sit down and talk. I’m sure we’ll get together very soon.’’
Anthony had said previously while the negotiations with Jackson were going on that he had never spoken with him. That appears to have now changed with Jackson officially in the fold, but the work that needs to be done to turn the franchise around won’t begin to take place until the current season is finished.
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 8
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 8
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 40
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 12
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 60
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 60
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 73