Mar 25, 2014, 3:55 PM EDT
Ryan Anderson has been out of the Pelicans’ lineup since January 3 due to a herniated disc in his neck, an injury suffered in a game against the Celtics.
Conventional treatments were not getting the injury to heal, so he will undergo surgery next month to fix the problem, the team announced Tuesday. As you would expect, that means he is done for the season.
Anderson, arguably the best stretch four in the game, averaged 19.8 points and 6.5 rebounds a game in the 22 games he played this season, and what’s more important he started to show a real chemistry with Anthony Davis when they were paired up front.
The Pelicans have been rocked by injuries this season. However, with the continued explosive growth of Davis, Tyreke Evans finding his way in the system of late, and they add Jrue Holiday and Anderson back to the mix next season, this could well become a playoff team. If they can just stay healthy.
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 9
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 25
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 68
- Report: Marc Gasol, Grizzlies reach deal on five-year, $110 million contract 8
- Manu Ginobili tweets he’ll play next season 5
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 14
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 38
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 36