Here’s two minutes of Jermaine O’Neal causing lane violations with his free throw shooting motion (VIDEO)
Mar 25, 2014, 11:02 PM EST
It was honestly a bit surprising to discover that Jermaine O’Neal, now in his 18th NBA season and currently with the Golden State Warriors, is a career 71 percent free throw shooter, and is hitting almost 75 percent of his attempts this season.
Watch his shooting motion over and over again in the video clip above, and you’ll see why that’s counterintuitive, to say the least.
The hitch at the top of his stroke acts as a de facto pump fake, and opposing players fall for it over and over again by stumbling into the lane before the ball is released.
It’s a violation if the referees choose to call it, which can be hit or miss at best. But the scouting reports on O’Neal are apparently woefully incomplete where most teams are concerned, considering that he’s been all about this awkward motion for so many years.
- Kevin Love benched entire fourth quarter of Cavaliers win over Magic 6
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 16
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 10
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 15
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 20
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 25