Mar 25, 2014, 1:23 PM EDT
The Chicago Bulls have learned their lesson from last year.
Last playoffs the Bulls wouldn’t definitively say “Derrick Rose is out for the year” and that left a cloud over the team — coach Tom Thibodeau and the players were asked about it daily. It was a distraction.
Over the weekend the New York Daily News reported that the Bulls are expecting Rose back at some point this season. Quickly this week the Bulls shot that down.
Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau was asked if there was a chance Rose could return for the playoffs. “No,” he said. “He’s doing a little bit more, he’s coming along (and) doing some things in practice. But he’s out for the year.”
Via CSNChicago.com, here is Bulls GM Gar Forman on a local radio show.
The Bulls realize that if Rose is healthy and back to his old self next season they are contenders (especially if they make some off-season roster additions to add scoring). The Bulls have since the first injury to Rose taken the long view, don’t expect them to change that now after a few wins.
Bulls management also realizes what happened when Rose returned earlier this season — an adjustment period where they don’t win a lot of games. Bring Rose back in the playoffs and the adjustment period ends your season.
Rose will be back in a Bulls uniform next fall. He could even play for Team USA this summer in Spain at the World Cup.
But please stop with the “he will be back for the playoffs” rumors. It’s not happening.
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 24
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 27
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 8
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8