Mar 24, 2014, 8:32 PM EDT
San Antonio has won 13 games in a row. Philadelphia has lost 24 games in a row.
Tony Parker sitting out for the Spurs Monday night isn’t going to change the outcome of this game.
And he is sitting this one out, coach Gregg Popovich made official.
That means more Patty Mills, who has played well of late.
Expect to see a lot of this from the Spurs over the coming weeks, with a lot of key guys getting rest. They have the best record in the NBA right now but Popovich looks ahead to the first round of the NBA playoffs and sees the midrange game of Dirk Nowitzki with Dallas, the up tempo and aggressive play of the Suns, or (most dangerously) the size and defense of the Memphis Grizzlies. Whichever team the Spurs land it will be a rough go. San Antonio will be the favorites but there are no easy match ups in the West.
San Antonio will need to be healthy for that, and Popovich knows it and is preparing.
Against the Sixers was the perfect time to get a little rest.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4