Mar 24, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
It’s all designed to maximize his availability for the playoffs.
Oklahoma City is a legitimate championship contender. There’s no sense risking Westbrook’s health until it matters most.
But given how serious every hit to the knee Westbrook absorbs seems, maybe the Thunder must still remain cautious with Westbrook once the postseason begins.
Darnell Mayberry of The Oklahoman:
Scott Brooks said he isn't sure if Westbrook's minute restriction will be lifted in the postseason. Said it's something they have to discuss—
Darnell Mayberry (@DarnellMayberry) March 24, 2014
The Thunder are better when Westbrook plays (offensive rating: 110.5/defensive rating: 102.4/net rating: +8.1) than when he doesn’t (106.0/99.3/+6.7). That’s boosted by playing more than 85 percent of his minutes with Kevin Durant and Serge Ibaka, but those players have chemistry together. They should share the court often.
Don’t buy into the talk that Westbrook hurts the Thunder by taking the ball from Durant, either. Westbrook’s aggressiveness definitely opens space for Durant. There are rocky points when they play together, but dealing with those beats the alternative of not having two top-10 players.
Reggie Jackson has been a solid fill-in, but he’s not as good as Westbrook. The more minutes the Thunder have Westbrook available in the playoffs, the better off they’ll be.
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 9
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 29
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 8
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 19
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 22
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 31